Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: momu189
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29619

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

How much can be found?
 Computer Forensic in responding to Data Breach issues
 A bunch of numbers about digital evidences collection
 Computer forensic issue
 A Survey on the Internet of Things Digital Forensic Research

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Rainbow Tables
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rainbow Tables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afpffi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Rainbow Tables Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I am in need of an affordable set of Rainbow tables (Not FTK). Does anyone have any recommendations?
Code:
Code:
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a silly question, but why not generate the table you need?
afpffi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.
There are never any silly questions. A question as silly as it may be, inspires thought.
So with that said, I never thought of creating my own and I have never created a set before. Is there a good source for information on the creation of rainbow tables?

Anthony
athulin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rainbow Tables Reply with quote

afpffi wrote:
Hi everyone.
I am in need of an affordable set of Rainbow tables (Not FTK). Does anyone have any recommendations?

For what client? There are at least three different formats out there -- if they have to work with some specific client, then that will make the choice easier.

And for what target? Rainbow tables is a method -- do you mean lanman passwords? Unix passwords? PDF passwords?

Myself, I use the largest lanman set from the Schmoo group. Bittorrent download, if I remember, to be reasonably certain that I would not have to download the entire file if there was a bit error somewhere.

Generating your own tables is possible, but very expensive as to time -- unless you're sitting on a large number of systems with nothing else to do, or are prepared to wait for a couple of years.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can generate most tables that I need in about half a day using rtgen. There is also winrtgen, but it seems to take more time to generate the tables.
afpffi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across the tables from Schmoo group. My only concern is testifying in court with open source offerings. I have tested the Access Data (portable tables) and was not impressed or maybe Iím asking too much of a product that cost $2400.00. I will give the rtgen and winrtgen a try.
Again, thank you for your input.
mialta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Rainbow Tables Reply with quote

HAK5 created a particularly good 120GB Lanman Set, I have not found a Lanman password it could not find.

They also started a set for NTLM, I have the full set for this and a torrent link is here .mialta . com/rainbows/Hak5%20NTLM%20Rainbows%20Full%20Set.torrent

Unfortunately it is only good for 1-7 character passwords.

PM me if you would like to obtain copies of both of these sets.
mialta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Court Reply with quote

I think when testifying in court if you can show that the password worked by for example booting an image in liveview and entering it that should be enough.

The only problem which I see with any source of the tables is that if there are collisions in the lanman algorithm then the first password you find that works may not be the correct one. I guess this line of reasoning is partially negated if the password found looks plausible ie: contains recognizable text like a word or leet speech etc..

I guess it depends on the reason you are using the password as well, we often use the lanman password to provide clues for the keys to more secure encryption that the suspect may have used. The other is to show that the account had a reasonably difficult password that the average user could not have guessed. Thus negating the "My flatmate must have guessed my password and used my account to download the contraband" defence.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: