Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: johan_chen_2000
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29413

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Hostile work enviornment
 Can anyone suggest me a topic under printers forensics
 Unallocated clustered as court evidence
 Encryption
 I know how to recover ost file 2016

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - favorite OS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

favorite OS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l4nw0lf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: favorite OS? Reply with quote

quick question guys,

which OS would you guys that are already working in the CF field better suit your needs?

been running backtrack5 lately seems to have a good collection of tools to do pentest, is there any other out there that u preferred over backtrack5 ? your input is greatly appreciate it

thank you
cybercop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the OS that does the job you need done at the time. That includes running the software you need ran. An OS is simply a tool. You don't use a hammer to insert screws and you don't use a screwdriver to drive nails.
l4nw0lf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, I'm doing my bachelor in CF total noob in the field, just asking so I could start using what most of the guys are using, just to get used to it, thank you again
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backtrack is not an OS. It is a distribution of Linux designed for pen testers. There are distros designed for forensics as well (SIFT, DEFT, etc.).
athulin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite OS? Reply with quote

l4nw0lf wrote:
been running backtrack5 lately seems to have a good collection of tools to do pentest, is there any other out there that u preferred over backtrack5 ?

There's no single answer -- you chose your tools to fit your working methods. As you're starting from scratch, however, take a look at SIFT from SANS. The download material includes a live CD, much like backtrack, so it's not just a VMWare environment.
ckimmel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7..... and I have VM workstation with VMs of the

SIFT kit (for forensics)
2 XP machines for (malware analysis)
OSX (I rarely use it)
Backtrack 4 R2 (For pentesting and when backtrack 5 fails)
Backtrack 5
Windows Server 2003 (windows attack tools are on here)
Security Onion (A beautiful compilation of IDS tools)

but I like Windows 7 as my host because lets face it... Windows just works...
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckimmel wrote:
Windows just works...LOL. I get the joke. Linux is really a far better hosting platform for VMs. First there is less overhead and there are a number of issues using a Linux based VM in Windows and trying to examine a Linux target.
ckimmel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreferredUser wrote:
ckimmel wrote:
Windows just works...LOL. I get the joke. Linux is really a far better hosting platform for VMs. First there is less overhead and there are a number of issues using a Linux based VM in Windows and trying to examine a Linux target.

I'm not getting into this argument... I like Linux and I like it a lot, I will not argue the advantages... HOWEVER.... Windows is more compatible with pretty much everything out there....

and I personally have never had issues analyzing a Linux based target with a vm... so I'm unaware as to what issues you are speaking of.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I agree Windows runs more programs, however as a platform for VMs Linux is better. That was my point (and of course to have a chuckle about Windows just works). And I am certainly not saying that Linux is problem free. As they try to make it more friendly more issues arise.

Anyway, back to the VM point, one of the issues is connecting to an LVM from a Windows host running a Linux VM. There are others in the same vein. With a Linux host there just seem to be less issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: