Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Nein
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29410

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Hostile work enviornment
 Can anyone suggest me a topic under printers forensics
 Unallocated clustered as court evidence
 Encryption
 I know how to recover ost file 2016

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Best University for Msc Computer Forensics and advise PLZ
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best University for Msc Computer Forensics and advise PLZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Best University for Msc Computer Forensics and advise PLZ Reply with quote

Hi I am buzy with my honours in Bsc Computer Science, specializing in Computer forensics.

Subjects taken are:
Business Law
IT Law
Computer Security
Information Security
Computer Networks
Distributed Systems
AI in Planning and Control
E-business apllications

I am studying at in South Africa at the University of Pretoria and want to do my Msc at a University very much suitable for a career in Computer Forensics. In other words I am looking for the best of the best.

So far my research for the best University is leading to the US and UK with UK looking like the best option (preffering UK as well). I would really appreciate some Industry expert advise as well as advice pertaining to the most feasible path to take to establish myself in suc a career.
Kristov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O, I am currently gaining experience working for a company as and EDI developer (Electronic document interchange). Writing code to change from one format to another as well as mainting the specific system managing this interchange.

Advise on other and possibly better means of gaining experience will be really helpfull.
ddow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO in the US the best is Purdue. In Australia U of South Australia. I can't speak to schools in the UK. These comments are based on the post-grad reasearch the students are doing. For what that may or may not be worth.

Given that the industry does not yet have a common body of knowledge that's recognized or a common certification, there's no other real way to judge schools. Good luck.

Dennis
Kristov

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot, Ill definitely keep those schools in mind. If done a bit of thinking though, please advise: 'Thinking, seeing that CF is still in infancy and schools' CF courses is not yet GREATLY accredited by the industry, that it is a good idea to do my Masters here in SA (only costs $2150) specialize in computer security and take a certain area of CF as my thesis, after that, maybe do an easy BA degree in humanity/ethics while I gain some certificates in CF, then start working full-time in the CF field and maybe studying a law degree part-time as I always wanted to.' Confused

So is this route a wise route to take?

Will find more info at my Lecturer, Martin Olivier:
His current research interests include privacy and digital forensics as well as database, application and system security.
He is author or co-author of more than 80 academic publications. More than a dozen students have completed their Masters or Doctoral studies under his guidance. He is a member of the editorial board of Data & Knowledge Engineering. He is also member of IFIP working group 11.3 on database and application security, IFIP working group 11.9 on digital forensics, the ACM, the Computer Society of South Africa and the Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns (South African Academy for Science and Art).

Definitly think he will prove to be a wealthy source of information. Very Happy

But doubt his knowledge of the industry though Sad

Prof Olivier holds a BSc degree in Mathematical Sciences, BSc (Honours), MSc and PhD degrees in Computer Science, a BA degree in Humanities and a BA (Honours) degree in Philosophy.[/b]
ddow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS in InfoSEC is much more marketable and that's not a bad entry point into forensics. If you really have an interest in law, I'd skip the MS. Depends on how strong your interest in law is. Big market for attornies who understand computers. Again, just my opinion.
Kristov

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big market?

Im am really super interested in law, was on my way to study law.

I know that the computer environment is a a new field and law in the computer environment and very undefined in this environment.

I disregarded this career path becuase of I assumed that actual positions in law relating to computer science is scarce and not needed that much. That might sound silly, but I can really not see the great need of people in computer/information law, the purpose I can see. I am sure this is becuase I am ill informed in this area of expertise.

Attorney was always one of my dream jobs.

Can you please elaborate in any way on the great demand of attorneys that understand computers, I am looking into this, and any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

TY ddow
Kristov

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attorney specializing in CF cases and other computer related crimes?
ddow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, attorneys who are tech savy are in demand from just about any angle. You might be in a good position to make your field. Not just CF or criminal either.

I'd think not high demand but high pay. Probably a bit of travel. Any JD's want to offer more guidance?
Kristov

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ddow, Law is one of my major intersests and would really like to become an attorney as well. I got a wide vary of interests, lately mathematics (Already have a kinda mathematical degree), other interests include criminology, philosophy and languages. I am kinda like a jack of all trades with everything I do. All these interests I mentioned above does have some connections with mathematics being the most odd one. Would it be advisable to be a jack of all trades like this in the Law Enforcement Industry? I know it would be good for a manageral position, but would rather prefer to use my brain more and do more specialized work (I really desire an intellectually challenging occupation, no offence to the managers out there).

BTW, i am looking to join a research group of my university in digital forensics, I am sure that will help me greatly.
Kristov

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say I want do a degree in Medical sciences as well (always been interested in this field). Thus having degrees in both computer science and medical science. Would that be any smart when I am looking for a job in the LE Industry? How bout Private Investigator.

O, and no, I do NOT want to become a professor/researcher.

(Obviously I really do not know what to do with my career yet)
Kristov

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a rock star Smile
parthi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Friends please help me 2 chooce my carrier5293 Reply with quote

hi am doin my final yr engg in CompScience.. and am very much mad on being an Proff.Ethical Hacker n also my aim is to get into Cyber Forensics.. i haven't done any certification till now.. and am now in position to decide my path and am very much confused in tat.. so do help me in deciding it.. whether i should take
1)MS in Cyber Security/Forensics, Which is the best course which will make me Employable too.. which university is best in that..
ELSE
2)Can i do certification n wat r all the certification i must do? and please do provide me the Centers which make my more expertise in that? (bcoz am in trichy,TN,India) here i dont find any one..inside TamilNadu will be an preferable one..

whenever am in net,i'll always keep on searching abt these above stuffs..bt till nw i dint get it...So pls GIUDE me..
Thanks in regards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: