Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: stupidtou
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 29536

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

is it possible to verify if a HDD was wiped with DBAN
 Forenic artifacts if someone accessed a remote Win10?
 timeline analysis
 Hostile work enviornment
 Can anyone suggest me a topic under printers forensics

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - What college is best to get a Computer Forensic Degree?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What college is best to get a Computer Forensic Degree?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Training and Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from CA, however here is a listing for your state:

California

California Sciences Institute
Masters Program in Advanced Investigations

California State University, Fullerton
Certificate In Computer Forensics I
Certificate In Computer Forensics II

Las Positas College
Computer Networking Technology - Introduction to Computer Forensics and Computer Forensics II

Solano Community College
Certificate and Associate Science Degree in Criminal Justice: Computer Forensics

Westwood College
Major in Computer Forensics
PatG9234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a trip to the East Coast. Champlain College offers a bachelors in Computer Forensics as well as a few of their courses allow you to get certifications along the way. University of Rhode Island does the same. Bristol Community College gets you an Associate's. MIT offers the Master's.
linkseveralthousand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at champlain. the campus is really terrific, but about half of their classes are mandatory "cultural appreciation" "rhetoric" and "aesthetics" type classes. They arent really gen ed classes, theyre just mandatory fluff, and students transferring in have to make them up. This is only an issue for on campus students, night class / online students are not required to take them. Makes no sense to me.

Utica College in upstate NY also has a program; Cybersecurity and Information Assurance. Under that program, you can choose to concentrate in either digital forensics or information assurance.
Aristide1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at UC the core requirement is much as you've described at Champlain, unless you already have a bachelors and they waive the core.

A bachelor's degree is suppose to give you a well rounded education. As you go further up you get more specialized.
linkseveralthousand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they waive core for students with a.a.s. also, which many transfer students have. champlain would not do this for me.

the big difference is that at utica you can pick which liberal arts classes you take to get the liberal arts requirement, so you can at least pick things that are useful and relevant. at champlain you are locked in to the core no matter when you enter the b.s.'s program.
Aristide1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They waive core only if your prior school has the same regional accreditation.
csiguy55

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Best school for you Reply with quote

I think that depending on what kind of job you are looking to get into, for example if http :// www . atf . gov/careers/forensics/ is something you're interested in or a non Gov job then I would focus on a program whether it's online or in the orange county area that best fits what you are looking for and also that fits your learning style. I think that so many people go right into programs and don't put in the research first before attending and then a lot of the time they end up either hating it or switching majors. Check out http :// www . bestforensicscienceschools . com/ which answers different questions you have on programs around your area, career opportunities or just your standard questions on what kind of degree you want to get.

I wouldn't focus so much on the "best" school that is out there but more so one that fits your learning style and also somewhere you can see yourself staying at and completing your degree.

Moderator Note: Direct links are not allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Training and Education All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: