Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Whiznot
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29660

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Software to search an FTK Lite Mounted drive with keyword
 How much can be found?
 Computer Forensic in responding to Data Breach issues
 A bunch of numbers about digital evidences collection
 Computer forensic issue

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Deaf
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deaf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajneil479

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Deaf Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently in school for computer forensics and am really excited about getting my degree. I haven't heard a lot of information about hard-of-hearing/deaf people in this field, if it is an example of an ideal career choice, for instance. Does anyone have any input? I know that this field can potentially require appearance in court to assist with cases/give testimony, but accommodations are available, I assume... For a deaf person in this scenario, would their superior be able to represent them on the stand instead? Would disability diminish credibility (ie. misunderstanding questions and/or delay in answering questions due to hearing impairment)?

If anyone knows someone who has a hearing impairment who excelled in this field, or even has any advice for someone in that boat, please share.

Computers are a strength of mine, and criminal investigation has always been an interest, I am determined not to allow my hearing disability to hinder my ability to succeed, but I would like to have an idea as to what obstacles I could potentially be up against, and resolutions.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your disability would only be a disadvantage if you were reviewing multimedia files that contained relevant audio. Other than that it should be immaterial. In court you would likely be assigned someone that converses in ASL, it would be unlikely that your supervisor would testify for you.
ajneil479

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I didn't specify my method of communication. I speak just fine, but I do have difficulty hearing when being talked to.
ajneil479

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: And Reply with quote

And potential audio would definitely be an obstacle.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a minor obstacle especially if you are in network forensics or similar. That is not to say you will not have to convince a prospective employer, but I am guessing it will not be the first or last time you have had to prove yourself.
poppgunner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: DEAF/ HANDICAP Reply with quote

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE DEFENSE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY (DIA). THEY GREATLY ENCOURAGE INDIVIDUALS WITH HANDICAPS TO APPLY AND HAVE ALL KINDS OF INTERNSHIPS, TUITION PAYMENT PROGRAMS (WILL MAKE PARENTS JUMP FOR JOY), AND MASTERS PROGRAMS. NOW THEY ARE IN THE INTELLIGENCE FIELD, BUT THEY USE A LOT OF DIFFERENT DISCIPLINES (INCLUDING THE BIO SCIENCES). THEY SEEM MORE INTERESTED THAT YOU COULD PASS A BACKGROUND AND URINE TEST THAN ANYTHING ELSE. YOU MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN. I'D GO FOR IT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: