Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: JEJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 29358

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Senior Cyber Forensic Incident Response Consultant -Cambs UK
 Sarees For Wedding In US
 2017 Black Friday Giveaway:Free rs3 money for Araxxor Nov.24
 A question for students and newbies
 E-DISCOVERY & DATA RECOVERY? WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - For anyone looking to get into Forensics....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For anyone looking to get into Forensics....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW3C is the National White Collar Crime Center (nw3c dot org). They have quite a few classes. The two I mentioned are the starting point.

Being in the box is a bit different as an examiner than as a patrol officer or even a detective, however your experience in seeing the shenanigans that go on in court will serve you well.

As far as books, File System Forensic Analysis by Brian Carrier is a text book for almost every starting forensic class I have run across and a reference for the rest of us. For Windows, I would recommend the books by Harlan Carvey.

Just looking at my bookshelf I have 33+ books on CF not including all the books/manuals from various training courses. Some are very specific like CD & DVD Forensics others very general. But a lot of examiners I work with only have a few books so YMMV.
seancoombs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Free Forensics Courses for Beginners Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new and highly interested in computer forensics. I currently have no knowledge of this discipline and as an introduction I would like to know if there are any open source or free training to get me started in this field.

Regards
Sean
cybercop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hate replying like this, but the best answer is to direct you to www dot google dot com. If you are not able to use google to locate basic information like this, you will have a very tough time in this field.
captainpharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to check out these links to free or low-cost courses:

http :// apex.vtc . com/computer-forensics.php

http :// community.spiceworks . com/topic/83627-can-anyone-recommended-any-good-or-free-computer-forensics-security-training

http :// www . teexwmdcampus . com/index.k2

As for books, besides Windows Forensic Analysis, I also recommend Guide to Computer Forensics & Investigations by Bill Nelson. as well as The Basics of Digital Forensics: The Primer for Getting Started in Digital Forensics by John Sammons.

Those are good starting points. Have at it and have fun. Thanks.

Moderator Note: Direct links are not allowed.
kaine007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot admin. This site has been very productive for me in my maiden career.
Jamshaid

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a valuable info out of four links only

1. CERT First Responder Guide to Computer Forensics available at sei.cmu.edu/publications/documents/05.reports/05hb001.html

2. CERT First Responder Guide to Computer Forensics - Advanced available at cert.org/archive/pdf/05hb003.pdf

3. Investigations involving the Internet by NIJ available at ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/210798.pdf

4. National High Tech Crime Unit (UK) computer forensic guide available at devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/pdfstore/ElecEvid.pdf

1 and 3 are available, any other use full links DOD?
Noodles2006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: UK based and seeking help Reply with quote

Hello

I am based in the UK. I would like to get back into IT and study Digital Forensics. Please could someone advise me which courses to take after I have been out of the Industry for 9 years. I would ideally like to get some experience but it is nigh on impossible without a post graduate degree, which I do not have. I am 43 so going back to University isn't an option but I could do an Open University Degree whilst working. Please could someone help me to channel the time and money into the correct courses so I can then perhaps find a job at a Trainee entry and work on skills and education throughout employment or I am deluding myself?!
Thank you
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: UK based and seeking help Reply with quote

Noodles2006 wrote:
Hello

I am based in the UK. I would like to get back into IT and study Digital Forensics. Please could someone advise me which courses to take after I have been out of the Industry for 9 years. I would ideally like to get some experience but it is nigh on impossible without a post graduate degree, which I do not have. I am 43 so going back to University isn't an option but I could do an Open University Degree whilst working. Please could someone help me to channel the time and money into the correct courses so I can then perhaps find a job at a Trainee entry and work on skills and education throughout employment or I am deluding myself?!
Thank you
I am confused. You want to know what courses to take, however "going back to University isn't an option". Yet you posted "like to get some experience but it is nigh on impossible without a post graduate degree".

If you need a post graduate degree for the job you want, go back to University. There are plenty of people older than you at University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: