Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Whiznot
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29660

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Software to search an FTK Lite Mounted drive with keyword
 How much can be found?
 Computer Forensic in responding to Data Breach issues
 A bunch of numbers about digital evidences collection
 Computer forensic issue

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Mac or PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac or PC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falconsfootball07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Mac or PC? Reply with quote

Im currently going to college for forensics and have come across this question. I have a lenovo thinkpad r61 now, but listening to students and professors it seems that macs are preffered in the forensic community because of the ability to run both windows and mac os x.
Is this true? Do companies prefer macs, or prefer you to own a mac?
Cyber_Da_Inv

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Mac or PC? Reply with quote

The Mac choice, if you can afford it, does allow for enhanced flexibility in forensic examinations. If you are examining a Mac, you should do so from another Mac platform, as the Windows based tools will not always be able to translate the data as it was seen by the Mac user. The new Mac can also boot to Linux, which may be useful in certain examinations. As for Windows, it works very well on the new Mac platform, either virtually or in a dual boot configuration.
Chuzpah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cyber, I have a MacBook Pro (2.5Ghz 4GB RAM) and it works great, I have setup a virtual machine using Fusion and have EnCase running on it. However, I also run boot camp with XP SP3 and EnCase runs a little faster. If you get a Mac go with a MacBook Pro but I would invest in a faster drive. Currently I have a 250GB 5400 RPM drive and it is a little slow for acquisitions, however, I got better performance using an external 7200RPM drive with a 16MB cache (via firewire 800). The latest MacBook pros come with 4GB of RAM already and can go up to 8GB total.

Hope this helps.
falconsfootball07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys
i heard apple is discontinuing the plastic macbook which will drop the pro's down to the $1000 price range. So im gonna wait on a purchase until i hear more about that
farmerdude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note, older Macs can also run Linux. Just FYI.

Cheers!

farmerdude

www . onlineforensictraining . com

www . forensicbootcd . com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: