Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: ylq
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 3
Overall: 29710

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

With the drizzle, a round of crescent
 the sunset kisses the Western Hills
 eSoftTools Excel Password Unlocker
 Ceiling suppliers
 Red Raspberry Extract Wholesale

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Book Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryEDaniel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Book Question Reply with quote

I am going back and forth with a publisher on a new computer forensics book. The publisher thinks another technical book would have the best market.

While I can certainly write a technical book, there are a lot of them out there already.

I think that a book that teaches how to do computer forensics from the initial meeting with a client through going to court would be a better idea.

How to handle everything from counseling the attorney or client in the case through the analysis of the case through reporting, depositions and court testimony. How to analyse the work of the opposing expert, how to read warrants, what language to give attorneys for motions for evidence, contracts, etc.

Also, how to market your forensics consulting business, how to set pricing, how to write your CV, etc.

So my question is, if you could pick a topic for a book written just for you, what would you want to see?

Anything goes.
DanHaynes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking to learn everything from A-Z. i will complete my A.A.S. in Computer Forensics in may and have purchased the Encase study guide. it would be nice, as you mentioned, to have a book that explains some of the non-technical issues. i have learned tons in the classroom and from books but nothing on the things you mentioned and i would definitely but it.
RobertR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there may be good arguments for the A to Z approach.. The problem is that no two cases will be alike... so the A to Z approach may only address a small portion of the total population of potential cases.

Technical is easy...... you can use the technical skills in any case situation... you use the appropriate skills to approach the situation... thats why most books address the technical aspects, their application is universal.
LarryEDaniel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided I am gonig to do a book on the criminal defense side of computer forenics. That is one that is missing from the market and will be a great learning tool for anyone involved in digital forensics. Seeing how an expert goes about challenging the evidence from the other side.
Chuzpah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I think this is a great idea. I own several computer forensic books and they start to overlap after a while, that is why I like to examine my books before a purchase. I would definitely like to see a more procedural book out there as well.

Good luck with the book project.
Mike_F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry,

Something I've heard from many CF students over the years (both corporate and public) is the lack of published materials and instruction on providing testimony for computer forensic cases. It could be a very worthwhile chapter to include in your book.

Best of luck

As a side note, I enjoy your Blog

As a secondary side note, GO 'HEELS!
farmerdude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may not be quantity in data forensics and testimony, however a book I do recommend is:

A Guide to Forensic Testimony: The Art and Practice of Presenting Testimony As An Expert Technical Witness (Paperback)
# ISBN-10: 0201752794
# ISBN-13: 978-0201752793

An excellent book.

Cheers!

farmerdude

www . onlineforensictraining . com

www . forensicbootcd . com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: