Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
· Home
· Content
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Esearchadvisors
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 3
Overall: 29512

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Automatic CNC High Pressure Foaming Machine Free Sample
 Customized Relay In Electronics
 wholesale 10 Amp Solar Charge Controller
 T5 SMD LED Fog Lights manufacturers
 Customized Nylon Jacquard Lace For Decoration

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - In college, looking to enter into LE DF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In college, looking to enter into LE DF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: In college, looking to enter into LE DF Reply with quote

I'm looking to enter into the LE side of Digital Forensics (DF)/Computer Forensics (CF). I'm currently working on my AS in Information Technology Security and plan on attending the University of South Florida in their BSAS in Information Technology with an emphasis on DF. I hope to get accepted into the UCF MSDF program after that. I expect this will take 6 years to complete all coursework.

I'm also attempting to become a student member of the Florida branch of the HTCIA.

My question is "Am I on the right track to working in the LE field of DF?"

What else should I be looking at doing to accomplish my goals?

What's the major differences between a LE sworn officer and a civ analyst?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as an entry level sworn LE examiner job. If you want to go the LE route you will apply, go through the vetting process, go through the academy, do your probation and work as a patrol officer. If and when a slot becomes available you can apply and go from there.

As a civilian you apply for the job and if you have the education and experience you may get an interview for the job. There will be background and some other steps and then an offer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: My two cents. Reply with quote

What I would do is look for agencies that deal in computer forensics. In the federal side there are many agencies that deal in CF. FBI, OSI, NCIS, ICE just of the ones I aware of. I would look for internships in your area. NCIS has internships and I do believe they are paid internships. Not necessarily CF but an internship no less One word of advice. LE is a job that requires you to have hand cuffs, and a gun. They issue theses items among other items to do your job. Having a bachelors or a masters in the CF field helps. However they will not hire you entirely on that fact. This day and age it all depends on what the agency want's. Don't be shocked if you are highly recruited or dropped even after the test (That's if you pass). There are a lot of bright people who don't make it out of the perspective academy's they are in. You have to be in good medical condition, have little or no criminal history and be able to pass an academy. This includes LAW, firearms, physical conditioning, and arrest techniques. Some people want the badge but they don't want to do the work, the arrests and police work. Some people are book worms but police work is blue color through and through. Just do research, go to recruiting events and complete your degree. What I would ask yourself is would you be interested enough to be an investigator or detective or are you strictly looking to be in CF. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose based on this information put here I'm not looking for what I want. I'm looking to work in a lab analyzing the evidence brought in. I'd like to work for a gov't agency and I thought that I'd have to be sworn because I might have to take the stand. I suppose not. I still have a lot to learn but I have an idea of what I want. Like I said, work in lab analyzing evidence brought in that can help prove someone guilty or innocent.

Is my education path on track with what I want to do? Any other recommendations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: