Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Sarahhaydock
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29713

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

With the drizzle, a round of crescent
 the sunset kisses the Western Hills
 eSoftTools Excel Password Unlocker
 Ceiling suppliers
 Red Raspberry Extract Wholesale

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - media access control address (MAC Address)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

media access control address (MAC Address)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onymousillusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: media access control address (MAC Address) Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm a new user to computer forensics world so sorry in advance for any mistakes

I'm in my third year of college but my first year as a Computer Forensics major. I have to do a project about MAC address and MAC spoofing and look at it from a computer forensics point of view. I was wondering if anyone could throw out there a couple of good websites or books or even bit of information that could help me in my search. I've looked for hours on the web and only get the basics and I cant find anything about how it could help me in my future computer forensics career.

any help would be appreciated,

Thank you
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project as in something you have to demonstrate or the paper is the project?

A little clarification on your actual task would be helpful. And what have you searched? I just Googled a few things and in one search found plenty of references to your topic, but since you have done the same searches what I found must be too elementary.

Most people here do not mind giving a nudge the right direction when it comes to homework, but research is a huge part of the job. You need to explain what you have done, what results you have found and how you think what you have found is lacking.
athulin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: media access control address (MAC Address) Reply with quote

onymousillusion wrote:
Hi everyone I'm a new user to computer forensics world so sorry in advance for any mistakes

I'm in my third year of college but my first year as a Computer Forensics major. I have to do a project about MAC address and MAC spoofing and look at it from a computer forensics point of view.

And what specific aspect/question have you decided to work on?

The obvious one seems to be related to deciding if a system has been used for such spoofing, but possibly restricted to some specific means of MAC spoofing. To me that question does not need any suggestions -- you set up a test system, runs it with a standard IP address for some time, then spoof some other address or addresses, by whatever means you have decided to study, then switch back to normal address, and then examine the system to see if there are any traces left, either of spoofing in general, or of the spoofed addresses in particular.

One aspect you may need to think about is how a system with spoofed or modified MAC affects other systems in the network -- the traces need not all be on the spoofing system.
onymousillusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreferredUser wrote:
Project as in something you have to demonstrate or the paper is the project?

A little clarification on your actual task would be helpful. And what have you searched? .

I have to make a power point on MAC address and MAC spoofing. I have found a lot about MAC address but for MAC spoofing the only information I can find is how to spoof my MAC address but not the propose of doing so. for example, do people chance there MAC address to hide on a network or do they do it so they can't be tracked. stuff like that I can't seem to find on google... It could be the way I'm wording it in google, I'm not sure but i can't find anything on why people spoof there MAC address. I feel like if I know why people spoof there MAC address It will help me figure out how it can help in computer forensic.
onymousillusion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: media access control address (MAC Address) Reply with quote

athulin wrote:

And what specific aspect/question have you decided to work on?

I have to work on MAC address and MAC spoofing from a computer forensics point of view, that is my project. I was planing on setting up a practical when i was done the project to better understand/to practice what i have learn about this topic... Because for the project all i have to do is a power point presentation.

athulin wrote:

One aspect you may need to think about is how a system with spoofed or modified MAC affects other systems in the network -- the traces need not all be on the spoofing system.

Thank for this I will be sure to take your advise when I start my practical.
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onymousillusion wrote:
I have found a lot about MAC address but for MAC spoofing the only information I can find is how to spoof my MAC address but not the propose of doing so. for example, do people chance there MAC address to hide on a network or do they do it so they can't be tracked. stuff like that I can't seem to find on google... It could be the way I'm wording it in google, I'm not sure but i can't find anything on why people spoof there MAC address. I feel like if I know why people spoof there MAC address It will help me figure out how it can help in computer forensic.
I think looking into some of the hacking/anti-forensic sites may clarify the why.

One example:
w w w .anti-forensics.com/conducting-your-business-from-wireless-networks
onymousillusion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreferredUser wrote:

I think looking into some of the hacking/anti-forensic sites may clarify the why.

w w w .anti-forensics.com/conducting-your-business-from-wireless-networks

I knew it had to be the wording I was using.... Thank you man, I really appreciated it.

and thank you everyone else who replied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> General Forensics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: