Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: ylq
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 3
Overall: 29710

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

With the drizzle, a round of crescent
 the sunset kisses the Western Hills
 eSoftTools Excel Password Unlocker
 Ceiling suppliers
 Red Raspberry Extract Wholesale

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Scenario question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenario question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Legal Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybercopdude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Scenario question? Reply with quote

A forensic investigator approaches an employee and tells him that his boss is involved in some fraud and asks for his help by providing him a copy of the boss's hard disk? Can this evidence be held in court?
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you copied the question from your homework correctly? The forensic investigator asks the employee to make a "copy" of the HDD?
cybercop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only comment to this is, you need to think about chain of custody which is, I am sure, what the assignment is about.
Fredjclaus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie here but I'd say it's not allowed. How was the chain of evidence established? Who's to say in court that all that information came from the boss's computer. Was the transfer media fresh and not contaminated by other information prior to use? There are many questions here.
DarkKnight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can also be privacy issues here. If the boss' hard drive has medical information for example, it may need to be handled a certain way. I know PII is handled very carefully for legal reasons.

I think what we're all saying here is we need more information than what you've just given us cybercopdude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Legal Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: