Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: momu189
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29619

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

China superior steel ball factory
 Steel Building Kits
 CNC Machining Aluminum ADC12 Parts manufacturers
 China Heat Press Cap Machine
 SMART TV quotation

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - need recommendations for book/tutorial for beginners
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need recommendations for book/tutorial for beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Training and Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: need recommendations for book/tutorial for beginners Reply with quote

Hi
I have BSC in computer science and few years of experience as a C++ programmer (mainly embedded). I'm starting a new job in the forensic field
and don't know where to start. Can you recommend me a specific book or link tutorial? I need mainly the data collections and analyze part, i.e. databases, files, web files, logs etc just to determine if someone has taken a specific action or not. As a fresh beginner something for the "easy" cases would be great as long as it is practical (how to do things? i.e. SQL server logs, Windows logs etc)

Thanks!!
PreferredUser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A" book? I am going to say there are at least a couple of books that are required for each of those topics plus at least one on law, evidence handling, etc.

Can you narrow down your starting point a bit more?

BTW how did you land a forensic job without knowing how to perform forensics? Please get sufficient training before doing forensics or you are likely to cause yourself and your employer major pains.
michel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: mainly technical issues - databases and web Reply with quote

I need to work on fraud issues related to websites, for example someone
says you registered its service through his website while you say
you didn't so need to scan its database, look in database logs, get some clues about the website etc.
I guess the most popular databases are SQL Server and Oracle so maybe things related to it.

well actually my employer knows I don't have forensics training but only have computer background as a software engineer. I would like to have a starting point - any good book/website with technical information - I would like to start with the common and easy scenarios and not the complicated ones.

What do you think about "SQL Server Forensic Analysis" was written in 2008 - still good for today (as SQL Server 2012 exists).
amazon.com/Server-Forensic-Analysis-Kevvie-Fowler/dp/0321544366

and what about "Forensics For Dummies" ??
amazon.com/Forensics-For-Dummies-Douglas-Lyle/dp/0764555804

[No direct links please... Admin]
raagi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: help urgent Reply with quote

hey i m doing my masters in engineering in computer science branch and opt computer forensics for thesis but unable to find a topic. please suggest something.
athulin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: help urgent Reply with quote

raagi wrote:
hey i m doing my masters in engineering in computer science branch and opt computer forensics for thesis but unable to find a topic. please suggest something.

How about starting a new thread so that the topic gets right? Just a suggestion ... I might have ideas for a proper question in a thread of its own, but one that hijacks another thread is one I feel somewhat reluctant to do anything with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Training and Education All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: