Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
· Home
· Content
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: aegnz
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 3
Overall: 29513

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

Some Tips to Snap 6% off runescape gold from Rsorder for Gem
 is it possible to verify if a HDD was wiped with DBAN
 Forenic artifacts if someone accessed a remote Win10?
 timeline analysis
 Hostile work enviornment

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - What Should I Do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Should I Do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: What Should I Do? Reply with quote

I am looking to do an online Honours Degree course with Open University. Computing and IT, of course. I eventually want to make a career working in Cyber Crime (Forensic Analyst) and I wanted to ask you guys if this is a good starting point? Open University also do Criminology courses but I read online that it is best to take the Computing courses instead. I cannot attend a particular University as I have young children, so it is ideal for me to study at home. I already have a lot of experience with the Deep Web, as I enjoy researching how it works and what it is etc. I also have A grade GCSEs from when I was at school years ago. Could anyone help me out please? Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OU is hard, very hard, and the standards are higher than at a lot of traditional "brick" universities. But they are very good at what they do and as you say, it's ideal for people with family committments, etc.

I don't know whether they still do an "open" Degree where you can mix and match the modules, that is good if you later decide that forensics is not for you after all (Computer Forensics degrees have a very high drop-out rate) and it's easy to switch to something else, you will not have wasted your time, effort and money on something that you have to later discard. (The OU is not a cheap business!)

The Computing and IT is your best bet IMO; you can supplement it with general Criminology/Forensics courses from other places, there are even some free ones you can get on line, eg Futurelearn. In fact it might be an idea to check out some of the free ones first to get a "feel" for the subject, but make sure it's from a reputable place like Futurelearn, Coursera, Edexcel, OfCourse. There are a lot of courses out there that are basically written by chancers and the quality/accuracy is questionable.

Pros of the OU - flexibility, can take as much time as you want, can pay in stages, very high quality teaching, good support.
Cons - expensive, and there is still a stigma out there that it's all hippies with long hair and cord jackets doing telly programs at three in the morning; as so consequently it's not a "real" degree, or not as good as a "proper" degree. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Digital Forensics: Getting Started All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: