Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forensic Downloads
· Forensics Feedback
· Forums
· Members List
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Training Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

Our Membership

Latest: Sarahhaydock
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 29713

Computer Forensics
This is a free and open peer to peer medium for digital and computer forensics professionals and students. Please help us maintain it by contributing and perhaps linking to us from your own website.

Recent Posts

With the drizzle, a round of crescent
 the sunset kisses the Western Hills
 eSoftTools Excel Password Unlocker
 Ceiling suppliers
 Red Raspberry Extract Wholesale

Computer Forensics World Forums

Pages Served
We received
page views since August 2004

Security Sources

FTC
OnGuard Online
ISO 17799 ISO 27001
ISO 27000 Toolkit
ISO 27001 & 27000
Cryptography
Security Policies

Computer Forensics World: Forums

Computer Forensics World :: View topic - Hostile work enviornment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostile work enviornment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Legal Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Hostile work enviornment Reply with quote

Hello,
I am an employee at a college in NYC, and have a complex legal situation that I need some advice with. Basically my student records were accessed by several coworkers with administrative powers multiple times during the year 2016. I know this is a fact. My student record contains my previous grades, address and my phone number amongst other things. Every one with administrative powers has the ability to view records and various other levels of secure data. Staff members with these powers each have a personal user i.d. Is it possible for an e-discovery to track how many times my student record account was accessed or viewed?

This coworker and several others created a hostile work environment me. They coordinated their harassment over Google hangouts and face book messenger. Would key log technology be able to play a role here?

Additionally, this same individual managed to get into one of my personal hotmail accounts and it was probably done from work. There were two emails and a folder made that I do not remember making. Unfortunately, Microsoft only tracks recent activity going back 30 days. Is there any way for an e-discovery to find evidence of this?

I have also noticed a lot of strange activity on my Amazon page, especially in kindle recommended books and I know this person has been in there as well (No, I did not give out any of my passwords).

This person is on a first name basis with the upper management and I.T. Any advice you guys give me will be appreciated. I have a lawyer but Im trying to narrow this down as much as possible.
prof

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Hostile work enviornment Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm working amongst others in a forensic environment in Germany.

In your case it is an fact that IT staff an some persons in the management level have per default the ability (and unfortunately) the right to have a look into personal data. It depends on the contracts made with this employees.

Maybe you can find some tracks on your records. But you must have direct access to the data storage medium with your records.

For your second question (with the email) as a first start you can check your mail account(s) on https://haveibeenpwned.com/. There you can see whether your account have been compromised. The posibility of e-discovery in this case depends on your way of using emails - do you use a webmailer or an email-client like Thunderbird.

If you find that your account(s) is (are) compromised the first task for you is to change your password(s) expressly. For the Amazon page I would ask the support staff there for extraordinary activities on your account.

The question with the keylogger should be forgotten because it's illegal Wink

If you have further questions you are welcome.

Greetings

prof
Nein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hostile work enviornment Reply with quote

prof wrote:
Hello,

I'm working amongst others in a forensic environment in Germany.

In your case it is an fact that IT staff an some persons in the management level have per default the ability (and unfortunately) the right to have a look into personal data. It depends on the contracts made with this employees.

Maybe you can find some tracks on your records. But you must have direct access to the data storage medium with your records.

For your second question (with the email) as a first start you can check your mail account(s) on https://haveibeenpwned.com/. There you can see whether your account have been compromised. The posibility of e-discovery in this case depends on your way of using emails - do you use a webmailer or an email-client like Thunderbird.

If you find that your account(s) is (are) compromised the first task for you is to change your password(s) expressly. For the Amazon page I would ask the support staff there for extraordinary activities on your account.

The question with the keylogger should be forgotten because it's illegal Wink

If you have further questions you are welcome.

Greetings

prof

I yield.

I need my job and my insurance way too much.

Who should I get in touch with about this?
prof

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Hostile work enviornment Reply with quote

Hello,

sorry about answering late but we had much trouble with a huge storm.

I suppose you are using Windows in your job. In this case you can ask the administrator to reset your login credentials. Normally the administrator starts a process in which you will get a prompt to put in a new password for your local account in the college. This password should be encrypted per default (by the system).

For your second problem you can use the way I suggested in my post before. A good solution is the modification of your login credentials for your private email and facebook account and Amazon or so.

If these recommendations don't help please contact your lawyer. He can start the process for further investigation.

Your disadvantage is that you are a resident of the USA. In this case unfortunately the GDPR does not apply.

Sorry but I don't know another (fast) solution.

Greetings

prof
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Computer Forensics World Forum Index -> Legal Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: