2009 CFCE Conference

putergeek

Sep 1, 2008
I'm attending the IACIS CFCE conference in May and was wondering if anybody that already obtained this cert has any advice? Any suggestions to prepare for the test/practicals at the end of the conference? Thanks!

techdvb

Mar 18, 2009
No I have not attended this training

<r>No I have not attended this training but I was wondering how to get involved with it. I had emailed the people there and they said that the training is for law enforcement only... I wish they would lift that and make it open to all with credible background<QUOTE><s> </e></QUOTE></r>

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
The practical/testing portion doesn't take place during the class. It is a looong process that starts after the class is over. My advice is start early and don't procrastinate. The coaches that help with testing are generally very knowledgeable and quiet patient as they help guide you through the process. Try to meet as many people as you can during the class. Talk to all the trainers/staff and exchange business cards. The IACIS listserve (among others) has been invaluable to me. Meeting some of the people will help you put faces with the names you will see on the list.

Here's some info on the CFCE from the Wikipedia entry.
An internal certification candidate must attend a 2 week training course. Two courses are conducted annually. The US based course is conducted in the first half of the calendar year whilst the European based course is conducted in the second half of the year. Upon successful completion of the course, the member is assigned a (volunteer) coach. The coach guides the student through the assessment phase, often by suggesting reading materials or experiments for the student, which is intended to assist the student in fully understanding issues with which the student may be having difficulty.

The assessment phase runs for approximately 10 months following each course with milestones for completion of specific objectives. Prior to 2008, the assessment phase ran for 12 months. The assessment currently consists of 5 practical problems, a research problem, and an extensive written examination.

techdvb

Mar 18, 2009
I have check into all the training and I think that it would be great to go through the training and get the cert I thank you for all the info.,..i was wondering are you involved with law enforcement some way?? i am not and when i contacted them about the training they said that if i had not been involved with law enforcement there was not much of a reason to go any further...
Thanks again After you do go through the training let me know how it goes and if it would be worth it...

putergeek

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks Complete. I knew the testing wasn't during the course...I meant what should I do during the course to prepare for the practicals once the course is over! Anyone else with insight would be great.

Also, yes the cfce is for law enforcement only!

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
During the course? Try to remember half of what they throw at you! :)

For the practicals, you're going to use DiskEdit and SPADA. Pay extra attention to those modules. Everything else will help, but you're going to cover a ton in the practicals that aren't necessarily addressed in the class.

As far as the CCE, it is not near as in-depth as the CFCE. However, it is a good cert and both organizations are excellent resources with knowledgeable members.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu