BACKGROUND CHECKS & Identity Theft

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
Monica, your comments have been referred to the local Attorney General's office, who referred me to an attorney in this case.

Thank you for bringing up this touchy topic. I have never been charged with any misdemeanor or felony in my life! To fail a background check at this point is incomprehensible.

BTW, somehow I cannot FIND my previous posts. :shrug:

Emily Cragg :?:

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
I was adopted.

so, I have a two birth families and an adopted family.

My own legal record is spotless. My grown children are all spotless.

what can be going on here?

what kind of blackmail is this?

This is shocking. where are we, in the old Soviet Union?

Is this some kind of POGROM?

EEWC

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
The Social Norm Called : Answering a Direct Question

<t>Would someone please inform me, how these background checks work?<br/>
<br/>
Is that too much to ask, here?<br/>
<br/>
I do office forensics and dig into and clean up old records; however, nosing into people's personal business on-line is not part of my work. <br/>
<br/>
As we all well know, compartmentalization and specialization also produce stupefaction of the workforce -- nobody knows nothin' they "not supposed" to know. And that's why we get work, because we know how to pull disparate data together.<br/>
<br/>
I was hoping somebody here could inform me about the practice of using someone's UNQUESTIONED past to thwart ANY FUTURE.<br/>
<br/>
Please?<br/>
<br/>
ECragg</t>

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
The Attorney General's Office says such a case as this is probably identity theft, and he referred me to an appropriate attorney.

Thanks for the heads-up. I wondered why nobody would even talk to me at all.

: ( EEWC

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
Honestly, I don't really think these forums would be the best place to ask a question like that. Even considering most people here have security clearances, it's not like they went through the process of being denied.
http: //www. clearancejobs .com/security_clearance_faq.pdf

Searching for what you want in google, is usually 99% easier then shouting out a question that's not directly related to CF; then getting upset that you didn't get a response.

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
WHAT MY PROFESSION IS, what I have done and do best is FORENSICS.

I analyze conflicts and disputes.

I am PART of the profession of Forensics because that's what I do -- not as much COMPUTER forensics as DOCUMENT & OFFICE forensics, for offices that lost touch with their data.

Therefore, when a Forensics professional gets in trouble -- like me -- it makes sense to come here and ask, what next?

Why are you so exclusive and inclusive that you can't answer a question from someone in your own field?

Wow! I bet you guys know a LOT, that could help me out due to the fact I don't ordinary get into the "background check" area of document control.

Emily Cragg

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
Just trying to help since I didn't know the answer to the question. Thanks for understanding?

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
Okay, I understand you're not into background checks.

Fair enough.

anybody around here understand background checks?

I seem to have an identity problem, and I don't know where to even begin to trace it.

Emily Cragg

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
anybody around here understand background checks?
Yes, they research your background. Please see the link Ancient already provided that answers your question.
I seem to have an identity problem
Your website makes that clear.
Why are you so exclusive and inclusive that you can't answer a question from someone in your own field
This is COMPUTER Forensics World, not DOC & OFFICE Forensics World. I'm guessing this is partly why you didn't get a response. Well, that and you've already insulted people on this board (see a couple posts up). Oh, and most people on here realize that responding would be a never ending rabbit hole. Ancient was nice enough to provide you with a link and answer your questions. I'm not sure why you didn't accept his response and I'm quite sure you won't accept mine.

I hope you find your answers, just not sure this is the right place. To avoid creating any sort of debate, I will gladly give you the last word and then consider the topic closed.

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
Ancient raised questions, but didn't reveal the process by which a background check is done; what family might have to do with anything; and how one might proceed.

I just spoke to an attorney and she said I must hire a P.I. and have a certified background check done in order to find out what is in it that is objectionable to someone.

Frankly, I was hoping to find a way to do this without a lot of expense. It was not my intent to insult anyone; but the replies were scarce and seemed indifferent to me.

The truth is, this matter is destroying my working life, and the CAL dept of Employment is clueless, Employment Rehab is clueless, council on Aging is clueless; everybody knows nothin'.

Does this sound right to you?

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
Let's say there's an older person.

Reared kids, cared for Grandma and Mama, worked 45 years to contribute to Social Security.

Never arrested, never charged, never indicted, never tried, never convicted of anything.

But for the past ten years, could not even get an interview for a serious job.

Speaking to an anonymous HR person, she said, "Your background check won't pass anywhere; it has something to do with your family."

The attorney general's office said: "Get an attorney."

The pro bono attorney said: "Get [and pay] a Private Investigator to run you a background check, because you have no right to that information, on your own.

1. There was no trial, no charge, no evidence, no witnesses, no conviction.

2. All the medical reasons have healed, so it's time to go back to work at what I am educated to do. In my case, I have a masters degree.

QUESTION: What happened to my right to "due process"?

QUESTION: Where is this information "held," that is held against my right to work?

QUESTION: What happened to my right to support myself in dignity?

QUESTION: What has this nation become?

You people do forensics; you track stuff down. Where do I begin, to clear my name because I've never done harm to anybody.

Maureen Emily Cragg

Dec 31, 2006
One last time thinking this may actually sink in:
chaiyah said:
QUESTION: What happened to my right to "due process"?
Real life is not a court of law, there is no due process. If someone does not want to hire you, unless it is for the federally protected reasons, they do not have to even consider you.
chaiyah said:
QUESTION: Where is this information "held," that is held against my right to work?
This is a connected world. Your information is held all over the place. It is aggregated, analyzed and archived. However there is no right to all the data just as there is no right to work. You may not think it is right, but it is the way it is.
chaiyah said:
QUESTION: What happened to my right to support myself in dignity?
Not a right. Life, Liberty, etc. = Rights. You may not be able to work in your preferred position, but that does not preclude you from working and supporting yourself in dignity.
chaiyah said:
QUESTION: What has this nation become?
That is at best a loaded question. I am sure there are some Yahoo or AOL groups that would be happy to ponder that topic.
chaiyah said:
You people do forensics; you track stuff down. Where do I begin, to clear my name because I've never done harm to anybody.
Let's clarify, "You people" do computer forensics; we track down what people do on computers servers, etc. I would say that for the largest majority of forum members as a whole, we do not "track stuff down" about people unless it has something to do with the computer we are examining. If you were here asking for help with examining your computer we could help. Tracking down why you cannot get a job is outside the scope of what "we" typically do for a living.

If you Google background check there are options from $15 to $50 that top the list. Have you even tried that (rhetorical question that does not need an answer)?

The forums that these questions should probably be posted on (based on a quick Google search):
w w w .ipiu.org/forums
w w w .expertlaw.com/forums
w w w.usatrace.com/Forum
w w w .pimall.com/nais/piportal.html

Consider this again as I fall down the hole:
Complete said:
Oh, and most people on here realize that responding would be a never ending rabbit hole. Ancient was nice enough to provide you with a link and answer your questions. I'm not sure why you didn't accept his response and I'm quite sure you won't accept mine.

chaiyah

Aug 9, 2008
Leads

<t>Thanks for the leads. <br/>
<br/>
I NEVER would have known about them if you had not told me.<br/>
<br/>
Google just doesn't bring up what you don't know about.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Emily</t>

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu