Carve tool --> Scalpel

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Group,

Just wanted to share a recent experience. A friend of mine pointed me to Scalpel, a carving tool based on Foremost. This tool's really great.

Check out the research paper written by the develloper of the tool:
cs.uno.edu/%7Egolden/Stuff/scalpel2005.pdf

Scalpel is just as good or better then Foremost, it's fast and best of all, free (like foremost). I've done some tests in our lab and the results match the ones described in the paper.

Download Scalpel here:
digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/

Cheers,

Chris

(edited to correct the link)

A

Admin5

Prickaerts said:
Hi Gralfus,

I corrected the link, www was ommited for some reason. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Chris
It was ommited because we try to discourage direct links. The biggest problem the forum has is link spammers, dropping links for everything you can imagine. Having legitimate links seems to encourage them, so we prefer the prefix of the referenced site to be ommited (just explain how to reconstruct the URL, if it isn't clear). I hope that makes some sense...

A

Admin5

Thanks Chris.

It's a stinker to be honest, because it inconveniences everyone. But we get literally dozens of bogus posts per day, which take for ever to clean up. Todays worst offender: some guy advertising a nursery. It beggers belief.

ddow

Jul 18, 2006
Admin,

To be honest I never realized that there were that much "junk" being posted. All of us are grateful that you're keeping it clean so we don't have to put up with it. Thanks for your help.
Dennis

A

Admin5

Thanks Dennis. Sadly, I think every major forum on virtually every topic has the same problem to deal with. We just have to keep on top of it. It's the nature of the net these days unfortunately.

vongurdy

Nov 2, 2006
Thanks for the heads up, I tried to get the pdf file but I can not find the page, the link does not work I also want to read more about foremost, any suggestions? thank you

A

Admin5

vongurdy said:
Thanks for the heads up, I tried to get the pdf file but I can not find the page, the link does not work I also want to read more about foremost, any suggestions? thank you
It looks like they may have moved that PDF I'm afraid.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu