Cheap Software For Practice

Monster

Dec 1, 2007
Hi, could someone point me in the right direction to obtain some les expensive software of the mainstream packages, without me having to purchase newer licensed software, this is for practice of course. I'd like to purchase FTK, Paraben, etc, however its just a bit out of my budget right now (and probably for a while) So, does anybody know where I can purchase a copy of the old stuff or point me to " practical exercises". I'm set up with the CCE but to get to the next module is a bit expensive also, so I'm working on software use skill sets while the credit card get "releived" of its duties. I'm well aware of the demos, so does anybody have any other suggestions or software that I can purchase? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dec 31, 2006
Have you looked into any of the Open Source or Live CDs? I started with X-Ways (and still use it). Not as "Nintendo" (nod to H) as some of the more mainstream products, but a great product when you want to really see what you are doing.

There are numerous posts on these and other products that can get you started.

opensourceforensics.org
e-fense.com
x-ways.net/winhex/forensics.html

BTW the CCE requires 18 months experience. If you do not have any of the tools to perform exams, how have you got the time in to qualify?

ddow

Jul 18, 2006
PreferredUser said:
BTW the CCE requires 18 months experience. If you do not have any of the tools to perform exams, how have you got the time in to qualify?
You can also use training instead of the experience.

Jul 22, 2007
You can download FTK from

accessdata.com/common/pagedetail.aspx?PageCode=downloads

If you don't have a licensing dongle, FTK runs in "Demo" mode. The only limitation in FTK demo mode is that the case is limited to 5000 files. That is usually sufficient for cases involving thumb drive and CDs.

Sep 2, 2004
I made a some-what long-ish post over in the "Open Source and free EnCase like tools?" thread...check that one out...

Harlan

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu