Create a computer forensics lab

Jan 18, 2007
I am new to computer forensics;I am enrolled in a computer forensics course. I need guidance to information about computer forensics lab requirements in Maryland. The project goal is creating a computer forensics lab in Maryland.

Specific requirements directed in my project are: 1) Type of certification needed and how to get the certification 2) Equipment and software needed 3) Guidelines needed to follow

Anyone who has such knowledge and who would not mind sharing is appreciated. :idea:

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
My best advice, without doing your homework for you, is to search, search, and search.

While probably not specific to Maryland, if you did a search of this forum you would find several topics discussing certification.

Google search for computer forensics software. Within the first six results are some of the most popular tools. Then try searching for equipment.

Guidelines might be a little harder, but look at ASCLD and SWGDE.

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi CharlieB,

A forensic Lab might look like this:

Separate network accessible through VPN
This network does NOT have a Internet connection, (protecting the evidence from evil people on the outside and protecting the rest your network from any virus you might encounter during an investigation.

Storage

Examination machines with FTK, Encase, Sleuthkit/Autopsy, NetAnalysis, Scalpel, etc, etc, etc

Disks

dedicated wiping machine

Imaging hardware (both dedicated and fully equiped computers and write blockers (PATA/SATA/USB)

And so on, and so on ;)

Chris

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu