Data recovery after a zero fill?

nussya

May 18, 2008
Hello,

Does someone know if it's possible to recover data after a zero fill with just an appropriate software or if it requires necessarily specific machines ?

Thx

CWagoner

May 14, 2008
nussya said:
Hello,

Does someone know if it's possible to recover data after a zero fill with just an appropriate software or if it requires necessarily specific machines ?

Thx
If a drives data areas are overwritten with zeros, which is what I believe you are referring to, then using software alone is not possible. Software reads only one level of data on the surface of a disk.

If it was something that warranted it, along the lines of millions of dollars worth of data, or national security, then there is a technique for reading the data off the hard drive which involves removing the platters and reading the actual subsurface magnetic signatures, but that, trust me is not done on your average case. Or one in ten thousand for that matter either.

CWagoner

May 14, 2008
cybercop said:
Might also point out that the odds of recovering any usable data through microscopic recovery is slim.
Tat is true, but with technology advnacing as it is, I have heard from some friends in VA that the technique has gotten better. To the point htat they generally get what they are looking for. And it has become more automated. The direction of the molocules on the surface and sub-surface of the disk are actually being read more.

That has got to be some very cool stuff to actually get to watch. But you make a very good point CC.

Be Safe!

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu