Dead Phone Recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarist

Dec 11, 2008
Hi all, new here, long time aspiring CF hobbyist.

I have a question. My wife's cell phone recently gave up the ghost (it just one day ceased to turn on), and she has some sound and image files on there that she desperately wants back that are in no way replaceable (they are of a deceased family member). Is there any way I can recover these? They were stored on the phone's internal memory, not on a card. We transferred the SIM card from that phone to another backup phone, so this phone is just sitting on the shelf, awaiting a way for me to retrieve the data.

Thanks in advance for your help.

uzdcar

Jan 12, 2009
There is a good chance that data will be recoverable. But cell phones don't have many standards, and each model is a bit different than the other. There are some free tools out there (search for cell phone forensics), but I use commercial tools because of the support and many, many adapters. If you don't want to try yourself, cell phone data recover is very inexpensive. If you want to post the cell phone make and model I can maybe offer some more guidance.

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
Did you try a different battery?

If the phone won't even turn on, there are going to be additional issues than just plugging in an adapter and hooking it up to the computer.

guitarist

Dec 11, 2008
The phone is a Sony Ericsson z310a. I did not try a different battery, but I am not sure the symptoms of its death are battery related--it died on my wife mid charge, and during a call. No lights turn on when its plugged in to charger; taking out the battery for a few minutes, and putting it back in didn't work either. There also weren't any signs of damage to the phone or battery.

I am open to doing the work myself, but I don't have much by way of tools for the job, so I'm open to suggestions for professional recovery solutions as well.

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
Bitpim is a great tool, but the phone has to be able to turn on for it to work. See if you can find another battery, some phones won't turn on with a bad battery even if plugged into a charger. That's the cheapest solution to try at this point.

If you can't get the phone to turn on, you're definitely facing an uphill battle.

guitarist

Dec 11, 2008
I'll have to remember BitPIM for future endeavors.

In the event that a new battery doesn't work, what kind of options do I have? while it's clear that if the battery's not the culprit, then anything could be, I would be inclined to think that the system itself could short out, and the memory could still be intact.

Dec 31, 2006
Have you tried to power the phone with both the battery and memory removed? Many of the Sony Ericsson phones detect aftermarket batteries as "alien" and will not start or error on start.

guitarist

Dec 11, 2008
So my wife just informed me that my description of the problem is incorrect. The phone does turn on, however, nothing is displayed on the screen, and the side LEDs just flash on and off repeatedly. I was correct however, that it occurred to her mid conversation, and that there was no apparent damage to the phone. Any ideas?

*EDIT* I should also mention that this phone is entirely "stock" from AT&T--no new batteries, no extra memory cards, etc.

dthstker

Aug 4, 2008
That phone is a GSM (has a SIM card). Bitpim only supports CDMA phones. You might try Data Pilot, check their site for supported phones. www . susteen. com

Don L.

guitarist

Dec 11, 2008
Will data pilot be able to access a partially fried phone? It acts like a PC that won't post--the power supply kicks in, video card provides a feed to the monitor, but nothing ever shows up.

uzdcar

Jan 12, 2009
It most likely will. Most of the tools described above take a forensic image (or at least access the device without too much tampering), so you don't need the phone to be fully functioning. It's too bad there is no way to contact users within the forum because it sounds like a quick chat might be helpful. So in the interest of solving a problem, feel free to give me a call and I'll see what I can do for you. 877-444-9565 ask for Steve. We're in Los Angeles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu