Degree Certs Question

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
This question may have been answered, I couldn't find the answer I wanted so I decided to post the question here...

If you were to get a Bachelors Degree
1. Which would be better to go on into computer forensics in the future?
a. Networking
b. Information Systems

2. Would it be hard to get a computer forensics job having an associates degree in information systems and possibly getting a couple certification?

3. Even with a Computer Forensics Bachelors degree, do you think it would be hard to find a job without any certifications?

I know these are weird and... have many answers; but thanks for the assistance.

Ancient

debaser_

Sep 30, 2007
1. I think the IS degree would be more applicable, if only because it's more broad.

2. Impossible to say. The smartest guy in the world probably doesn't have a degree, but since you will have to make it though the HR dept it will help a little bit. Having a degree and some certs isn't everything. How motivated you are to look for a job, who you know, and how lucky you are will be just as important.

Jul 15, 2008
1. Personally I would go for the networking degree. More and more companies are utilizing networks and so are the bad guys. With drive capacity going up, single machine acquistions are going to be harder to do.

2. If you already have the AS I would go for the Bachelors in CF. Certs are nice but most companies are looking for the paper.

3. Again, certs are nice to have. Most places like you to have certs but they are not mandatory. Net+ and CISSP are two good certs to have.

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
DigitalInstruct said:
1. Personally I would go for the networking degree. More and more companies are utilizing networks and so are the bad guys. With drive capacity going up, single machine acquistions are going to be harder to do.

2. If you already have the AS I would go for the Bachelors in CF. Certs are nice but most companies are looking for the paper.

3. Again, certs are nice to have. Most places like you to have certs but they are not mandatory. Net+ and CISSP are two good certs to have.
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice.
I'm going to get my Bachelors in CF.

BA2LLB

Jul 31, 2008
Ancient said:
I'm going to get my Bachelors in CF.
Champlain College offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Forensics and Digital Investigations

Utica College offers a Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity with concentrations in either Cybercrime Investigations and Forensics or Information Assurance.

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
Question:

In response, about networking certs and experience;

Would it be useful to achieve Microsoft Certifications, related to networking and security; Such as:

MCSA - Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

and other related degrees that deal with Vista and Exchange servers...
I've just started to become familiar with these certifications, if someone knows them better then I; I'd appreciate a break down if possible?

Thank you

ddow

Jul 18, 2006
Ancient said:
Would it be useful to
Sure, very useful to some employer somewhere. Even learning basket weaving is useful if one wants to weave baskets. Can we rephrase it a bit? If I want to . . . and given that y would require that . . and x would require that . . . would x be more useful than y?

Without knowing what the priorities are, there's no real answer. Given this is a passion forum and our mutual passion is computer forensics, I could assume that part of the "I want to" is computer forensics. What field do you work in? What opportunites do you have in that field to do computer forensics? For IT folks, a move into corporate security is a good move. For LE folks, getting tagged as "the computer guru" is a good move. For anyone, letting your interests be know and volunteering is a good move.

No cert or degree or combination will get you a CF job in a day. None will hurt.

HTH, Dennis

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
CISSP
or
CCE
or
Security+
or
CFCE

Which would be the best choice?
I heard CISSP is more acceptable and very broad...
But I also think CCE would be very useful, I don't really think CFCE is that great compared to the others and I really don't know that much about Security+...

Advice needed, ty

:?:

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
What are some books that are worth studying to be better prepared for these exams?

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
CISSP is more accepted overall and will open doors simply because you have it. Many HR departments will dismiss a resume if it isn't listed. I highly recommend Shon Harris' books and the cccure.org website. The CISSP is security oriented, so you won't find a lot about forensics on it.

If you're studying for the CISSP, you could probably pass the Security+ as well. They cover much of the same material.

The CCE has one multiple choice test and three practicals. If you already have experience in the field, you can finish the whole process very quickly (two weeks or so). I believe you get up to 90 days to complete it. If you don't have experience, check in to one of the bootcamps that are out there. Also, these books may help:
http ://www.bookpool.com/sm/0321525647

It's too bad that you don't have a good view of the CFCE. I don't blame you as IACIS hasn't done too much in the way of marketing the cert. It's currently LE only, so if you're not employed by law enforcement you can't take it. This may change in the future.

Everyone who has successfully finished the CFCE will tell you what a long process it is and I don't think you truly have an appreciation for it unless you've gone through it. There are six practicals (they actually ship you a hard drive for the last one) and a huge essay test at the end. I wrote 40 pages for my essays. You get 9 months to complete the process.

This was the most complete and thorough cert I have done (I've gotten the CFCE, CCE, CISPP, CEH, and GCFA).

If I had to start over, I would self study for the CISSP as there is lots of material out there. You could probably self-study for the CCE, but you're going to need to be familiar with some software tools for the practicals.

HTH.

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
Complete said:
CISSP is more accepted overall and will open doors simply because you have it. Many HR departments will dismiss a resume if it isn't listed. I highly recommend Shon Harris' books and the cccure.org website. The CISSP is security oriented, so you won't find a lot about forensics on it.

If you're studying for the CISSP, you could probably pass the Security+ as well. They cover much of the same material.

The CCE has one multiple choice test and three practicals. If you already have experience in the field, you can finish the whole process very quickly (two weeks or so). I believe you get up to 90 days to complete it. If you don't have experience, check in to one of the bootcamps that are out there. Also, these books may help:
http ://www.bookpool.com/sm/0321525647

It's too bad that you don't have a good view of the CFCE. I don't blame you as IACIS hasn't done too much in the way of marketing the cert. It's currently LE only, so if you're not employed by law enforcement you can't take it. This may change in the future.

Everyone who has successfully finished the CFCE will tell you what a long process it is and I don't think you truly have an appreciation for it unless you've gone through it. There are six practicals (they actually ship you a hard drive for the last one) and a huge essay test at the end. I wrote 40 pages for my essays. You get 9 months to complete the process.

This was the most complete and thorough cert I have done (I've gotten the CFCE, CCE, CISPP, CEH, and GCFA).

If I had to start over, I would self study for the CISSP as there is lots of material out there. You could probably self-study for the CCE, but you're going to need to be familiar with some software tools for the practicals.

HTH.
Excellent Response! Thank you so much that is exactly the information I needed, this helps me much!

Another question,

This isn't related to much to this topic but I figured people will be reading this anyways so I didn't want to make a new thread..

Would it be difficult to find a Computer Forensics job, with
A bachelors in Information Technology (Networking)
and an Associates in Information Systems

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu