DeVry Computer Forensic Track

Jan 17, 2010
Hi guys. I plan on enrolling into classes this Summer at the Tinley Park campus in IL. I have completed 1 year at a community college and I have decided it's just not for me. I haven't had any luck with teachers or classes. I wanted to jump straight into my career and trainings.

My long term goal is to be a Computer Forensics Examiner with the 'Feds.'

I was curious to know the community's view on the matter. What you think of the school's track in computer forensics? Does it prepare you for corporate and federal job tracks? Any regrets? Any mistakes you have learned from that you would like to pass on some knowledge?

I appreciate any feedback, thank you.

DanHaynes

Aug 6, 2008
Well for starters, and correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think you will get a fed job with a DeVry degree. I'm not familiar with DeVry. Are they an accredited school? Most fed jobs require a 4 year degree (Bachelor's). Isn't DeVry a 2 year school? Will 4 year schools accept their credits?

I'm not trying to say DeVry is a bad choice, I'm just not sure it's the right choice to get you a federal position. There are no shortcuts to a successful career. You can try to take the easy way out now, but you will most likely pay for it later. What I mean by that is that I take from your post that you don't like the community college because of the extra 'bull' courses that are required (English, math, speech, etc.) that you won't have to take at another school. Those 'bull' courses are the ones that will help to form a well rounded student that the high demand jobs are looking for.

TerriR

Jan 20, 2010
Computer Forensics and Devry University

<t>Devry is as accredited as any other good college. I am currently enrolled in my first session at Devry -- major is Technology Management in the Computer Forensics Track -- Bachelor's Degree. I am enjoying the experience so far -- its only our 4th week. There are still the normal Academic courses you are required to take before you take your Career Track courses as with any college or university you attend.</t>

Dec 31, 2006
Re: Computer Forensics and Devry University

<r><QUOTE author="TerriR"><s>
TerriR said:
</s>Devry is as accredited as any other good college. I am currently enrolled in my first session at Devry -- major is Technology Management in the Computer Forensics Track -- Bachelor's Degree. I am enjoying the experience so far -- its only our 4th week. There are still the normal Academic courses you are required to take before you take your Career Track courses as with any college or university you attend.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
FWIW:
<QUOTE author="DeVry"><s>
DeVry said:
</s>DeVry University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (NCA), <URL url="http://www.ncahlc.org">www.ncahlc.org</URL>. The university's Keller Graduate School of Management and DeVry College of New York are included in this accreditation. NCA is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting association and is one of the six regional agencies that accredit U.S. colleges and universities at the institutional level. Accreditation provides assurance to the public and to prospective students that standards of quality have been met.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

That said, many in HR and others that are doing the hiring view DeVry, ITT, UoP, etc. in not the best light. So even if you get a great educational experience you may encounter prejudice because of where you attended college.</r>

Jun 26, 2007
Re: Computer Forensics and Devry University

<r><QUOTE author="PreferredUser"><s>
PreferredUser said:
</s>
That said, many in HR and others that are doing the hiring view DeVry, ITT, UoP, etc. in not the best light. So even if you get a great educational experience you may encounter prejudice because of where you attended college.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

That's exactly why I'm switching to a traditional college that offers online degrees.</r>

MjRemaley

Jan 26, 2010
i acutally just enrolled in Devry and already second guessing it. i've looked around in most of the universities and in all the full "4 year schools" i've looked into i didn't find an actual degree or focus in computer forensics. Most just have computer science and such with a minor in criminal justice. The forensics field just took me by storm and i want to do everything i can to be successfull.

Any thoughts?

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu