Emails Intercepted

JoeFiz

Jan 5, 2007
My girlfriend somehow got my passwords for AOL, MySpace and Hi5 and she was able to intercept any emails from these accounts from her house. Do you know how she could've done this? I never had AOL on my laptop or anywhere near her but she was able to see emails that I was sending. Did she use some sort of computer forensics person to do this?

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
Did she use some sort of computer forensics person to do this?
I doubt anyone involved in forensics would have helped her do this. Not a very ethical move to make.

More than likely she used some sort of keylogger or spyware to capture your passwords and then logged into your accounts from her house. We get these types of cases all the time where I work.

I would scan your computer using up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware. Then make sure to follow Wilber's advice and change your passwords.

If you want to make absolute sure your computer is clean, completely wipe your hard drive, reinstall windows, and install a decent firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware.

JoeFiz

Jan 5, 2007
intercepting picture text messages

<t>How would you explain her intercepting picture text messages that other women were sending me? She wasn't with me and she is still able to look at other picture text messages that women send me?</t>

AlanOne

Nov 18, 2005
I am not familiar how AOL, MySpace and Hi5 handle e-mail, but just at a glance, perhaps she added her e-mail address to your accounts (distribution lists, Blind Carbon Copy, etc.) so when you send/receive an e-mail, a copy of that e-mail is also sent to her account. It is highly unlikely a computer forensics person would place themselves in a position of committing a felony act.

You got the best advice of changing your passwords. You should also check your accounts to see if she may have added herself to a distribution list of sorts which would allow her to get copies of everything you send/receive.

Good luck,

Tim, CCE

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
Joe - In addition to what Tim said, Google for SpectorSoft and check out the products they offer. That would easily explain how she was able to "intercept" those messages.

JoeFiz

Jan 5, 2007
Computer Forensics career

<t>Thank guys, you've all been really helpful and I really appreciate all of the advice. <br/>
<br/>
Computer Forensics is very interesting and I would like to know how one would get started in the field? Any advice on some sort of starting point would be great.</t>

Pacman

Oct 12, 2005
Re: Computer Forensics career

<r><QUOTE author="JoeFiz"><s>
JoeFiz said:
</s>Thank guys, you've all been really helpful and I really appreciate all of the advice. <br/>
<br/>
Computer Forensics is very interesting and I would like to know how one would get started in the field? Any advice on some sort of starting point would be great.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

You bet, first starting point is to realize that people document much of their lives on the computer.<br/>
<br/>
So if you are going to cheat on your girlfriend...don't let her near your computer. <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E> <br/>
<br/>
Good Luck!<br/>
<br/>
Pacman</r>

JoeFiz

Jan 5, 2007
intercepting picture text messages

<t>How would she be able to intercept my picture text messages? She was able to find out who had sent me a picture text message from another location.</t>

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu