For the Forensic Pro

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

Erik

Feb 1, 2009
I am a 3rd year college student working on my BA in Software Engineering. Once I get done with my degree, I want to join the world of Law Enforcement. I have always dreamed of being in the FBI or CIA or any other law enforcement agency. My question is where do I start after my degree? I know that I need certifications and further education but is it better to join a school or self study for the exams? The schooling that I found cost about $3000. I am willing to spend the money on my career but as a working father,husband, and full time student with a huge student loan already, the cheaper the better. I was also wondering if a computer forensics analysist carries a weapon when going on scene? I want to be active in the crime department and not just someone sitting behind a desk all of the time. I thought about joining the PD as an officer but I want the investigation of computers also. Any help will be appreciated.

uzdcar

Jan 12, 2009
You've been watching too much TV :) I've never known anyone in forensics to carry a weapon or spend much time away from their desk. This is probably not the right career for you. However, there are times where you'll be with officers who will secure a scene; but you won't be anywhere near the action. Forensics is a support role. What you could do is continue to expand your knowledge of forensics in order to make yourself a better, more knowledgeable, investigator. And the CIA - despite what many people think - it's nothing but a desk job. Go to law school, join the FBI, and have some fun.

Erik

Feb 1, 2009
Thank you for your honest reply. What I would really like is to be a combination of a homicide detective and computer forensic. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too though. I do plan on trying to get into the FBI as soon as I get my degree. Maybe they will have something that will better suit what I want.

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
I respectfully disagree with Uzdcar. I was a sworn law enforcement officer and while assigned to criminal investigations worked every type of case imaginable. I also specialized in computer forensics and worked with numerous other agencies on cyber crime cases.

IACIS is a law enforcement based computer forensic group. I would say the majority are sworn officers. The other main category is civilians working for LE agencies.

That being said, if you want to go into law enforcement, be prepared to spend time paying your dues. You won't get hired as a special agent/sworn officer and go straight to computer crimes. It can certainly be done though.

The FBI has dedicated Cyber Agents, but they also have civilian CART examiners that do the vast majority of the forensic work. Check into agencies around where you want to work. You may find what you are looking for. You might also find something different that suits you just as well.

Erik

Feb 1, 2009
I am so glad to hear you say that. Like I said, I want to be in the action. I was having second thoughts about the FBI as there aren't any local offices but, you never know what life will bring. I was also thinking about the DEA as we have a local office and I have a relative that is head of this division. I just want to make a difference in my community for my family and all others that live in it.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu