Forensics in HealthCare

wilber999

Jun 24, 2006
I work for a large HealthCare company and have been performing very basic HR investigations (Proxy logs, e-mail tracing/restores, etc) for years. However, we were involved in a lawsuit with another HealthCare company recently that was settled and I pressed the urgency for better forensics knowledge. I have witnessed "inspections" of PCs by others and the company is very fortunate that we have never had to go to Court the way the evidence was handled. Anyway, I have finally convinced them that true Forensics knowledge is needed and I will be attending a FTK bootcamp in a couple of weeks and am reading everything I can get my hands on.

I was just curious if anyone else in this forum has dealt with Forensics in the HealthCare sector and/or in relation to the HIPAA regulations (as vague as they are).

I also have another question about forensics as a career. I have been told by some in the Security industry that most all Forensics experts
(especially freelance) are "road warriors". This true?

Thanks in advance

herrenj

Aug 2, 2006
Hey wilber!

I also work for a large healthcare company. We deal with HIPAA and SOX issues (cases) frequently here, and have responded to both internal and external counsel with data. Our own internal policies was really the driving factor to start doing our own investigations internally, as well as the number of cases going to litigation from other departments. I have heard rumblings of regulations becoming stricter at the end of this year that call for more formalized investigation programs in SOX regulated companies, but frankly haven't had the time to look into it too much. Guidance has some good white papers out there, but they should be taken with a grain of salt as they are trying to sell a product....

The freelance guys I know spend a LOT of time on the road (the good ones anyway)!

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu