Free downloads?

chrisc

Jan 10, 2007
Hi
Just wandering if there are any free pieces of software available to download which i can use to play around with and experiment with.
I would like to try and get an old USB stick of mine and see what files previously existed and perhaps recover them etc.

Cheers

KenPryor

Oct 21, 2006
There are many free and / or open source programs to choose from and download. You can get the Helix live cd which has quite a few tools. You can go to opensourceforensics dot org and find lots of stuff for Linux and Windows.
KP

Dec 31, 2006
Some work on Vista, although most tools are better suited to XP.

KenPryor wrote about Helix in his post. It has two, I'll call them modes for want of a better term. A Windows executable for live analysis and a bootable Linux environment.

The site he wrote about has both Windows and Linux tools.

X-Ways, as referenced by Ancient, is a modestly priced Windows tool. Very powerful and a great learning tool.
X-Ways said:
X-Ways Forensics is an advanced work environment for computer forensic examiners and our flagship product. It runs under Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista*/2008*.

*Full functionality supported on Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server. Compatibility with Windows 98/Me lost gradually since v12/v13. Limitations under Windows Vista/2008 Server: Physical RAM currently cannot be opened. Ability to write sectors in partitioned disk areas not guaranteed. HPAs and DCOs cannot be detected. Colored path feature in Case Data window not available. Install WinHlp32.exe to be able to use the program help. If you would like to execute X-Ways Forensics under Windows Vista with administrator rights, then please make sure that you do that explicitly.

Sep 29, 2008
You can download FTK imager for free and also FTK 1.82 as a demo version from Access Data. Very good learning tools.

S73v3N

Jan 10, 2009
i havent tried helix but was wonderin if it could work to recover old music/ video files that have been deleted?? anyone know??

I was thinking since it can recover 'data' that it should work.

Dec 31, 2006
S73v3N said:
i havent tried helix but was wonderin if it could work to recover old music/ video files that have been deleted?? anyone know??

I was thinking since it can recover 'data' that it should work.
Files are files, it is just a matter of defining what you want to recover.

farmerdude

Jan 11, 2006
S73v3N

Helix won't recover music and video files, but it may provide an environment (Ubuntu Linux) from which you can identify and extract those files (raw data viewer, file carver, etc.). Some of those files have defined data structures that can be identified and then extracted.

Cheers!

farmerdude

www . onlineforensictraining . com

www . forensicbootcd . com

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu