Hash calculation between image and original file

dfsdfs

Sep 24, 2017
Most of the imaging software can image a large drive. The image saved as several files.

1) I want to know how they calculate hash among original file location and image file. Source location have several folders.

2) Image save as split files. There are several files. How to calculate a single hash using several images.

athulin

Experienced Member
Oct 18, 2007
Ratings
dfsdfs said:
1) I want to know how they calculate hash among original file location and image file. Source location have several folders.
You may need to try to rephrase that question: I'm not sure I understand what you are asking when you say 'among original file location'.

What kind of image? Logical image or physical? What imaging software?

As imaging software may do things differently, an answer is likely to depend on what software you're asking about, and how it was invoked, including what type of image you are asking about (physical or logical).
2) Image save as split files. There are several files. How to calculate a single hash using several images.
Again, depends on what the image format is. The simplest would be a raw format, in which case you simply concatenate the files, and hash the result. However, if images have a structure (as for example EnCase images do), you need to use tools specific for that format.

How you do that depends on the platform you're using: Linux? Windows? something else?

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu