HD recovery from fdk imager

mchugh760

Sep 11, 2008
My friend's computer is hard drive clicking noises and won't boot. I heard using FDK imager is the best way to recover the data if all I have is another computer with a windows OS. I was just wondering if there was any other good ways of getting his data/files back

Dec 31, 2006
Clicking is never a good thing. See this link: h t t p : / / ask.metafilter.com/31595/Has-anyone-ever-successfully-revived-a-hard-drive-after-it-started-making-that-dreaded-metallic-clicking-sound

If you are REALLY going to get serious about rescuing the data check out DeepSpar. h t t p : / / w w w .deepspar.com

However for way less money you can hire a firm that already has the equipment, training, etc. to rescue your data.

FTK Imager may image the drive, but with clicking you are likely to just cause permanent loss of data.

mhenson8

Aug 22, 2008
FTK Imager will image the drive competely (including any possible downloaded virus thst might hve started the problem). Not sure what is causing the clicking but I believe imager only comes with the complete FTK Toolkit. Not sure it can be purchased on it's own. You can check with Access data (accessdata.com). I use it myself at work when examining a storage medium. It is expensive and I agree with the other post that you may be better off taking it to a local computer shop that has the tools to retrieve data. The cost would be less and you would have someone trained is experienced in hat they are doing when it comes to something like that.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu