Hi Everyone - Advice for Masters

Apr 13, 2010
Hello -

I am graduating in a couple of weeks with my BS in CIS and I've recently decided that I may want to go into Computer Forensics.

I'm looking at a Masters program in Information Assurance at a university here in Colorado, and was hoping to talk to someone who is experienced in computer and network forensics who might be able to offer me some advice on choosing some electives which would prove most beneficial for a career in digital forensics. I have of course selected the computer forensics and network forensics courses, and am considering "SECURING & PROTECTING: SYS, APPS, DATA" but am a little unsure of which others would be most beneficial. ( I need a total of five)

regis.edu/regisgpcd.asp?sctn=cpcis&p1=ap&p2=ia&p3=cd

cps.regis.edu/degrees-masters-info-assurance.php

I know I need to make the ultimate decision, just am looking for advice here.

Thanks in advance
Teri

Dec 31, 2006
Looking at the courses, it seems like they are geared toward the CISSP Domains and NSA 4011/12. Does Regis gear toward that? MSIA 672 MANAGING A SECURE ENTERPRISE seems most CISSP like.

From the descriptions my interests would lean toward:
MSIA 674 PLANNING/IMPLEMENTING ARCHITECTURE SEC
MSIA 684 IT AUDITING

Those courses seem geared toward INFOSEC which makes an good transition to CF and back out if it turns out CF is not your cup of tea.

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for your response. They do model the program after the NSA recommendations and guidelines so I believe you are correct here. So much to think about.

Thanks,
Teri

Apr 13, 2010
Not yet, I'm going to be looking for some potential employment opportunities over the summer. I'm not entirely sure how to break into the field since my background is mostly in enterprise & web app development with a CIS degree, I just find it very interesting.

Dec 31, 2006
Secure app development is a hot topic. I just checked out the schedule for SANS Rocky Mountain 2010 (w w w.sans.org/rocky-mountain-2010/) but they are not offering the training I thought you would find relevant, although you may want to see if there is something of interest.

Check out the SANS developer courses if you have time (orange section).
w w w.sans.org/security-training/courses.php

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu