How can i write a project specification on computer forensic

Aug 12, 2006
I have checked the internet for how to write "a project specification for computer forensic technology "I could not get any. Please who ever knows what to put down help me if there is any way of writing this.

Many thanks.
honneykhad.

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Honneykhad,

Allthough maybe not entirely what you are looking for, check out Brian Carrier's thesis "A Hypothesis-Based Approach to Digital Forensic Investigations".

.cerias.purdue.edu/tools_and_resources/bibtex_archive/archive/2006-06.pdf
Keep in mind that [ https: / / w w w ] was ommited due to board restrictions.

Cheers,

Chris

Aug 12, 2006
Thank u Prickaerts I have been on that web site it is very useful but the specifications is not there, that does not mean u should stop helping me thanks.

Cybercop!! yes it is for a school dessertation thank u very much.

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Honetkhad,

Could you then shed some light on what you are looking for when you say "a project specification for computer forensic technology"?

Regardless if it is a homework assignment, specifics are always welcome when requesting other people's help/advice.

Cheers.

Aug 12, 2006
Hi again,

Specification is a guide that will help an engineer or a developer or descibe an implementation and how to meet the objectives.

In my own case, most of the software are already in the market and the user requirements are already stated by the software developer. I an not testing any software. I want to use those one that are in the market e.g EnCASE E.T.C What is confusing about this specification is that I do not know what I will based my on project specification and requrement on.

There are different types (!) user requiement (II) system requirement (iii) functional requirement (iV) functional specification (V) Design specification
(vi)technical specification.

In case of forensic toolkits how will i write the requirements for the forensic investigators as a forensic investigator.

many thanks
Honneykhad

cybercop

Administrator
Oct 31, 2005
Seems to me that you have a really good grasp on what you need to write. I would assume that is because the assignment was clearly specified. I have never been one to do another persons "homework", so I have no real suggestions for you. If you get other people to give you the answers all of the time now, who is going to give you the answers when you are examining a hard drive for CP?

Aug 12, 2006
cybercop i am not asking any one to do my work for me the mistake i made was the way the question was asked am sorry, what i meant was that can the specification based on investigation who are the user, the tools or what ? What I posted was the qustion I was asking myself. It is a pity I posted that.sorry.

cybercop

Administrator
Oct 31, 2005
The investigation itself is Computer forensics. The tools we use are simply tools to accomplish the investigation. For instance, you do not define a carpenter by his hammer.
There is much more to computer forensics than just examining a hard drive. The investigation begins when the report is taken saying that a crime has been comitted. You need to start there. If any of the steps are missed during the investigation, your case is gone.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu