How to Forensically Preserve or Capture a Website?

• We encourage our users to use Real Names to build a real community, friendships and networking opportunities.

[more information]

OSINT Web Capture Tool - Designed for Online Investigations

matrim

Sep 16, 2009
Hello,

Does anybody have experience with preserving or capturing a website? In the past I have done this using wget, but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on whether that is the best tool to use or if there is something else that would work better for the job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2009
In the past I have used Jobo, a java based and os independent automated file transfer agent. (pardon the jargon, it's a website getter). Jobo is nice because it has some powerful (customizable) features and yet runs under almost any operating system, even Windows.

Wget has been my less than desirable but nonetheless easy and often effective default, using "wget URL -k -c -r -p" as a quick way to grab files when perfect forensic preservation isn't required.

Lately I have been using httrack, and I am starting to believe that this is a true rising star. I wouldn't have made the same statement a year ago but I am beginning to grasp it's potential, as I learn and as the bugs get ironed out of this software. Try this link: httrack.com/html/fcguide.html and you will find a decent "howto" about its usage.

Httrack supports MD5 capture and does no alteration of any files if you choose, making it suitable for forensic capture. The default mode however is to mirror the site, altering URL's accordingly. It is available for Windows as a web-based application and is available for Unix/BSD/Linux as both a standalone executable and a web based application.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu