Is this right for me?

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

KJ44atCFW

May 28, 2017
I am getting ready to return to the workforce. I left about 15 years ago to raise my kids. Prior to that I earned a BS in Computer Science w/ a Math minor and spent 1 year earning my MS in Computer Science. I then worked for the gov for about 10 years in computer security research. Back then the Rainbow Series, TCSEC books had just been released... We focused more on the Multi-Level security issues though... Unclassified to Secret, CMWs, etc. We did some hands on level work but most was higher level policy and requirements reviews, C&A stuff.

Anyway, now I'm trying to determine which sub field of CS to get into as soooo much has changed. I considered entering web development or database sw but I'm thinking that returning to security would make a stronger resume... leveraging off past work. I've recently taken an online course on Network+ but don't intend to take the exam. I'm not an admin type and I just don't see really memorizing all that is in that class, but it was a good overview. I wonder if this should be a sign that I'm looking in the wrong direction?

I'm now studying the Security+ and will probably follow up with something more directly linked to forensics. I may check out some hacking/penetration testing class but I'm not sure I have that hacker mentality. Forensics sounds interesting, but can this be learned without the firm grasp of everything networks and admin?

Thank you for any guidance you have time to offer!

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu