Job Roles

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

welsh

Feb 23, 2007
Hello,

I'm currently a forensics student and i'm having doubts about whether i've made the correct choice in choosing this field.
Basically, I have a big fear of public speaking, and perhaps naively, I thought i'd overcome it by now.
What I want to know is, do most/all jobs consist of regularly acting as an expert witness or could I work for a company that just requires me to analyse media, but not stand up in the witness box, as I was told that I could do lots of jobs that don't require me to be an expert witness.

Thanks
:oops:

Dec 31, 2006
A bit impatient today? Anyway, unless you are willing to be in the box you are on a severely limited career path in forensics. Perhaps a slight redirection to a security investigative role would mean less time in a public speaking role. Although there you could wind up explaining to the Board of Directors what happened after a security incident.

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
welsh said:
Hello,

I'm currently a forensics student and i'm having doubts about whether i've made the correct choice in choosing this field.
Basically, I have a big fear of public speaking, and perhaps naively, I thought i'd overcome it by now.
What I want to know is, do most/all jobs consist of regularly acting as an expert witness or could I work for a company that just requires me to analyse media, but not stand up in the witness box, as I was told that I could do lots of jobs that don't require me to be an expert witness.

Thanks
:oops:
I would imagine there are jobs out there that you wouldn't have to go to court for in computer forensics at first. But you should eventually get over your public speaking issue. Join a fraternity or take public speaking, I was the same way a while ago... But I got past it because I was practically forced to.

welsh

Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my impatience.

We'll be having courtroom training early next year but I just can't face standing up in front of 100 students, not when I find it uncomfortable to stand in front of 20.
I just feel I should pack in the course in because it generally is getting me down but i'm in the middle of the second year so it's a tough choice.

Ancient

Apr 3, 2007
welsh said:
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my impatience.

We'll be having courtroom training early next year but I just can't face standing up in front of 100 students, not when I find it uncomfortable to stand in front of 20.
I just feel I should pack in the course in because it generally is getting me down but i'm in the middle of the second year so it's a tough choice.
I'm a student also, So I can't speak in the sense that I know what is out there. But I'm sure if you like doing this, there has to be something out there for you. There are probably computer forensic related jobs out there that will take a degree in CF also. Don't let something like public speaking depress you, There are jobs out there I would imagine for Computer Forensic companies that do not make you go to court. It's not like everything dealing with Computer Forensics is law related.

welsh

Feb 23, 2007
I don't know anymore - like I said, I just feel like quitting because I can't take the humiliation of me standing in the witness box in the uni's mock court stuttering and shaking.
Also hearing that my career would be limited just reinforces the fact that maybe I should pack it all in.

Dec 31, 2006
welsh said:
Also hearing that my career would be limited just reinforces the fact that maybe I should pack it all in.
Your career is only limited in the traditional forensic roles. There are many jobs that rely on your forensic training that do not include standing in front of a court. There are many jobs in penetration testing, network security (especially red team/blue team scenarios), intrusion detection that will utilize the training you have received. If you just adjust your path you may take an extra semester, but what you have learned will not be wasted.

That said it is good that you recognize challenges now rather than once you have finished your degree and are out in the market.

Dec 28, 2008
Don't give up

<t>I just feel like quitting because I can't take the humiliation of me standing in the witness box in the uni's mock court stuttering and shaking. <br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Please don't give up. Have you ever heard of Toastmakers? Check to see if there is a group near you. This is a group where people join up to get over their fears of public speaking. They usually meet twice a month and they take turns giving speeches in front of the group. They encourage each other and give each other feedback and tips on how to get better. I had the same problem and I joined up and now it is so much easier to speak in public. I would suggest that you try it, or start doing things that would give you experience speaking in public. Eventually, it will get easier.</t>

garciagu

Dec 30, 2008
welsh said:
I don't know anymore - like I said, I just feel like quitting because I can't take the humiliation of me standing in the witness box in the uni's mock court stuttering and shaking.
Hi Welsh

I would not quit if I were you. I did my masters in Marriage Family Counseling and one of my classes required to have a mockup therapy session with a client while I was being filmed for latter critique from the Professor and the class. My anxiety level went thru the roof and I set in front of the client not able to hear anything that was being said. I was in a daze.

Like you I felt like quitting knowing that I had to do that every week and that I was not able to make it thru. My professor recommended I immediately contact a Psychiatrist to get prescription drugs to lower my anxiety with the understanding that this was only a TEMPORARY solution to the issue, while working with a therapist to help me deal with the underlying issues. I kept an open mind and followed his suggestion and I am glad I did. I only used the prescription for 3 weeks, and the on going therapy gave me a lot of personal growth, helping me understand where that fear and/or anxiety was rooted from and eventually eliminating it. It went so well it exceeded my expectations. I would have never imagined it possible, as I'm sure you feel now.

I was able to complete my Masters and to counsel many couples afterwards while the entire class was observing my work.

While this worked for me, I offered it to you as a possible solution for consideration, and to illustrate the point that there are many different venues you can pursue to eliminate the limitations that exist only in your mind. Giving up will only reinforce you're handicap, and will show up in other areas in your life. Deal with it know and you'll be glad you did, it can be overcome.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu