Looking for some advice

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

Oct 11, 2007
hello, i'm nicole

i have always been interested in computers and also in forensic technology.. i have talked to a few people, and i still am actually not sure on how to start on this career path.

i'm sure certs would help me a lot, and i plan on taking the ones that i might need, and also experience is a must but what about the studies?

would i need to take computer science courses and some criminal justice?
or.. would i need to take some computer security courses?

or is that my decision..

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Tripsoright,

Check the forum, your question is one asked on many occasion.

My advice, any university degree is plus, computer and law related even better. A sound interest for computing and technology. And last, but certainly not least, good problem solving skills, creativity and perseverance ;)

Chris

Sep 2, 2004
tripsoright said:
i have always been interested in computers and also in forensic technology.. i have talked to a few people, and i still am actually not sure on how to start on this career path.

i'm sure certs would help me a lot, and i plan on taking the ones that i might need, and also experience is a must but what about the studies?

would i need to take computer science courses and some criminal justice?
or.. would i need to take some computer security courses?
There are actually a couple of ways to "break in", particularly if you're in the US...

Many community colleges now teach computer forensics courses, and some even offer degrees in the topic. Some of these courses are developed by instructors, based on the needs of local law enforcement. This is one route...take the courses, and make yourself known to the instructor as someone who knows their stuff. Reach beyond the course material. The instructor usually has some kind of connections with those who need forensic analysts, and they are trying to fill a need...be the one to do that.

I don't know your age, but consider enlisting in the Air Force. Some of the best forensic investigators have come out of AF OSI. You'll get training AND hands-on experience. For other services, there is no guarantee that you'll get forensics training or experience in NCIS or CID, and the Marines don't do that kind of thing.

Another option is to complete a degree program, maybe get someone in your family to assist you paying for a couple of low-level certs (A+, Network+), and then get an entry level position with a company that needs an examiner. Even getting in as a junior person on the IT admin side is still "getting in", and from there you may be able to expand into the forensics field.

I just made a long post in another one of the forums on this site that provides examples of how to gain educational forensic experience for free. You might check that out, as well.

Hope that helps,

Harlan

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu