Looking for some help..

Capo

Aug 29, 2006
My name is Nick, I am new to this site and this field. My School and teachers have really "hyped" this field up to be a six-figure job fresh out of the gate. Im learning that it is not (I've been reading some topics on this forum). My question is, what certifications should one get going into this field. I was interested in getting a CEH, CHFI, and CIFI. I was also looking into the EnCE. Do you guys think that it is worth it? Currently I am in School studying networking and security. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~NICK~

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Capo,

Please let me know if you do see that 6 figure job posted somewhere ;)

Regarding certifications, there are several valuable ones out there. Some however are restricted to LE (CFCE eg). CIFI CCE, EnCE all come recommended, you might want to look into vendor neutral certifications at first. EnCE, although certainly covering basic (and sound) computer forensics, is heavily geared towards the use of Encase.

If you ask me a good basis would be certifications (or the equivalent in knoowledge) covering hardware (A+), networking (CCNA), Operating systems (MCSE anyone??), general security (GSEC, CISSP), incident handling (GCIH), IDS, etc etc. These are just suggestions.

If you are anywhere enthousiastic about computer forensics it is certainly worthwhile. Keep in mind that it is still a relatively young field, so sometimes it is pioneering :)

Good luck and welcome.

Capo

Aug 29, 2006
Thank you for the information. I will definatly take it into concideration. I have my A+, taking my Net+ this week, and I am currently working towards my MCSE. I will look into the ones you mentioned here. Thank you so much for your help!

-Nick-

farmerdude

Jan 11, 2006
I would recommend a vendor/product neutral certification first, such as the CCE. Product certifications are more limiting. Get the neutral, broad one first, then look to product certification if you believe in the product that much.

regards,

farmerdude

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu