Making the transition into forensics in today’s job market.

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

Orlandofl

Jun 6, 2015
Hello. First, thank you for viewing my post and your opinion is appreciated. My name is Travis, I live in the Orlando Florida area, and this is my first post on computer forensics world. The field of information security greatly appeals to me and after careful consideration I’ve decided to specialize in digital forensics. I’m in my last semester of a B.A. in criminal justice at Thomas Edison State College. I’m currently completing an undergraduate certificate at St. Petersburg College in computer related crime investigations (direct link removed) I’m planning on continuing my education at Champlain College with their M.S. in digital forensics degree. (direct link removed)

I currently have CompTIA’s A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. I plan to sit for the Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) examination in August of this year. I anticipate using September-December of this year to take the ISFCE CCE online boot camp (http://www.isfce.com/cftco-payment.htm) and earn the CCE credential. In early 2016 I plan on studying and taking (ISC)2’s SSCP examination. In April 2016 I plan to attend IACIS’s Basic Computer Forensic Examiner course here in the Orlando area (direct link removed) then complete the CFCE certification. To finish out 2016 I plan on tackling the EnCase EnCE credential and earning (ISC)2’s CISSP certification.

Before transitioning into Information Technology I served in the Army for almost seven years. I have three years in various facets of information technology to include RF NOC technician for Ericsson, PC technician for my own small company a few years ago, and technical support (my current role) supporting small to medium business phone and data products from an ISP here in central Florida.

My question is, what can I do to expedite the shift into forensics? I’m willing to spend the money on certifications and training and even biting the bullet on a master’s degree to set myself apart, but I’m just not sure what else I could be doing to make myself more marketable. Does my plan seem sound to those of you with experience? What are some definite things someone new to the field (or someone trying to get into the field) are going to want to know, do, or participate in to become competitive and credentialed in today’s job market?

I apologize in reference to the length of my post. Wanted to get it all out there :)

Regards,

-Travis

I'm always looking to connect with professionals, if you'd like please add me on LinkedIn

[Admin: Direct URLs are not allowed as the encourage link spam]

Dec 31, 2006
What computer experience do you have? I see a lot of resumes similar to yours and I always ask myself, what hands on computer experience does this person have? What kind of troubleshooting skills does this person have? What experience does this person have that shows problem solving? What experience does this person have that shows they can work with technology and people. For example help desk experience shows you can work with technology (forensics) and people (jurors, investigators, customers in general).

Mar 22, 2015
Hi

<t>Definitely agree with what you stated. Your explanation was certainly the easiest to understand. I tell you, I usually get irked when folks discuss issues that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail right on the head and explained out everything without complication. Maybe, people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.</t>

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu