opening a bkf extention with encase

sid

Aug 11, 2006
okay, I am taking a case from a coworker. he, for some reason instead of giving my the encase files, gave me a dvd with a bkf extention. Is encase able to take back up files and give them a look through? or do I need to do other things to make this file readable... sorry I know its a dumb question but thanks for the help.

sid

Aug 11, 2006
when i put it in Encase it opens as a single file. Is there a way that i can open it and browse it? I would like to explore it. to do that do I need to change its file type? Okay thank you.

AlanOne

Nov 18, 2005
I know you can "promote" (v.5) a .cbak file to the case file, but I still think you need the original case file. So, see if he can DVD the original case file to you.

Of course, I would also hash the two .case files to make sure they match, blah, blah, blah...

Tim, CCE

MikeB

May 13, 2015
Apologies for replying to such an old thread, but couldn't control myself as I too was in the same dilemma.

Being a Forensicator, I often come across such scenarios.

I too am looking for a solution that can prove to be a quick forensic equipment to read the bkf file format. In fact, I am working on certain cases related to this too.

Please share if anyone finds a suitable solution. I am looking for the same and will try my best to be back with one.
:D

Regards

SgtJackie

Nov 30, 2015
I still come across bkf files occasionally but they are a pain to open now, as Windows got rid of the bkf option after XP. I would suggest making a copy in Encase to preserve your original, then take the copy and decompress it using this - "https : // www .microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx? id=4220&tduid= %28a4ba0d7647396cb597564fa0787e273f%29%28266696%29%281503186%29% 28skim1402X558040Xea0ce03efd79e839a882e7af955e8dd7%29%28%29"
and you should then be able to see the individual files. Hopefully this might help but I have never tried it myself so there are no guarantees.

Moderator Note: Direct links are not allowed.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu