Pirating Intellectual Property: Cyber Crimes?

ramajama

Feb 26, 2007
Hey everybody, I need some help understanding this computer forensics stuff.

I am a law enforcement student in Minnesota and have to do a presentation over Pirating Intellectual Property for a Cyber Crimes class. I am focusing on dowloading illegal music and the like and am wondering how you guys go through computers and track things like this. If anyone has any info or advice for me that would great.

Thanks

cyrpt6y78

Feb 12, 2007
I am a newbie here and when I read your post I thought only the Music companies went after people downloading music. I remember reading years ago The RIAA used Kazaa and when they found people sharing thousands of songs they went after them civil court. I know the P2P network is big but I can only remember a couple of convictions of copyright infringement. And they were big time players, the ones who were selling thousands of dvds and cds.

I am not in law enforcement but I do not think the local police have the time or even care about people downloading music. They do go after local stores that sell dvds and cds in their back rooms.

There was a big bust a few months ago when I believe the FBI brought down a big setup of "cammers" people that go into the movies and record new movies and put them up on the internet. It was a very elaborate setup I do not remember all the details but I am sure you can google it.

cyrpt6y78

Feb 12, 2007
I read a book the other year about a hacker who made money by hacking into big software companies. There was one chapter on how he needing to get a copy of a new software program before it even hit the stores. I do not remember all the details but he got into the company's computer and was able to find an image of recent burned image on the system. I believe he got a few thousand dollars for that program. You should go to Barnes and Noble and look for the book. It goes into great details of his exploits. Im sorry I do not remember alot of details but I did not buy this book just read some of it one day in the store.

cybercop

Administrator
Oct 31, 2005
As far as I know, Law Enforcement is staying out of the illegal music thing. I personally have never worked a case involving it. Basicly it is a civil thing. You are violating their license, they sue you, that just about sums it up. It is the same as software piracy, you are violating the terms of their license. Are there laws to protect intellectual property? Yes. Is enforcement even realistic? No. Do I condone piracy? Absolutely Not. I don't condone it and I don't do it, but there is little I could do if I knew someone was using pirated software or music. Now, you go to Staples and steal a copy of Vista and run out the door, you will be arrested for theft. Same thing with a music CD, physically steal it, get caught, get charged. It isnt up to LE to enforce a company's licensing though. Hope that helps a little.

kellerr13

Mar 26, 2007
In order to be theft of any type, you have to deprive a person of property or of value. If they have 50 in their inventory, you make a copy and they still have 50 in their inventory, then you did not deprive them of property. That leaves "value". If you would NEVER purchase the music/video/software anyway, and would NEVER give it to anybody else, and would NEVER sell it or make copies of it, then you didn't deprive of value either; in fact, one could argue that you have increased the value if you were to show it to someone else and they decided to go out and purchase it.

As for licenses. You are required to have a licenses to drive a car, practice medicine, law, etc. etc. but there is no law requiring you to have a licenses to run software. In effect, it means the license is a contract between you and those who own the product it goes with. Contracts can't be imposed on people without their agreement. By purchasing the product and/or installing it you are agreeing to the contract. In the event of music or movies, what if you never purchased it to begin with? In that case you don't have a contract. It's only Piracy if you try to profit or deny them of profit by providing copies of it to others.

It can mess with your head. As for the RIAA and their like. Don't forget, they are a private organization, not an official law enforcement agency, so their powers are VERY limited. Personally, I would tell them to take a hike.

kern

Mar 9, 2007
i wouldnt be so sure on how "limited" their powers are.

with enough money and lawyers you can make almost anything happen, civil or criminal. Joe Public doesn't have anywhere like that leverage.
certainly id not be saying take a hike.
Big org's tend to cultivate a special sort hatred for ppl giving them the finger :)

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu