Resources for Forensics Case Studies

Bregan

Feb 19, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I'm am pretty new in the forensics line. Currently i am studying for my degree in computer forensics. I would like to know if there are any available resources on the internet which can provide me with a few case studies as well as maybe digital evidence (file images) for me to do my own analysis.
can anyone provide me with any info? I would also appreciate it if someone could load me up with a couple of useful resources regarding forensics.

thanks!

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Hi Bregan,

It's difficult to find actual cases online, due to possible sensitive material and/or privacy related issues.

Have a look at the Honeynet project, there are several challenges involving forensic research:
honeynet.org/challenge/index.html

Cheers,

Chris

WO

Jan 14, 2007
There is a floppy image you can play with as a sample for the CCE exam at certified-computer-examiner.com/cce-samp.htm that I found fun to play with. Short of that, you can always *create* your own cases and just work through them. Simply deleting files off, encrypting them without looking at the password, etc will give you practice. While I don't condone pirating software, there are a lot of sites out there that will teach you techniques to using a hex editor to manipulate registration access or even customizing applications - all which will give you hands on experience with a lot of useful tools.

Be creative.

Prickaerts

Administrator
Jan 2, 2006
Oh,

And check out this site:

w w w.opensourceforensics.org/

It has several references to test images focusing on carving tools for example, or specific file system layouts.
For reference I highly recommend Brian Carriers File system Forensic book.

Chris

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu