Sim card reader.

eureka

May 5, 2007
I was looking up some sim card readers for cell phone and have a few questions.

what is the best sim card reader and cheapest. I was looking at Paradens 27 dollar sim card reader and the sim card reader software about the same price.

what is the limitations of this software.

I understand the basics of sim cards however you might laugh at me on this one. What should I expect to see when looking at a sim card with a reader. Am going to find only current numbers and text messages or will all or some data be on the sim to read from day one till today.

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
Hey Eureka - as phones become more and more complex, they continually look at other storage areas other than the SIM. SIMs can only store a very small amount of info, but you will always find network info there. It may also have some of the phonebook and a few text messages, but don't count on it. Paraben bought and resells SIMCon, so you may want to Google for more info on that. I've used SIMCon and it works well.

On the plus side, SIM analysis goes very fast so you'll find some quick info on the phone.

eureka

May 5, 2007
Will SIM's be replaced?

<t>Thanks fo the information.<br/>
<br/>
What about the technology changing? Will SIM cards be replaced?<br/>
<br/>
Eureka</t>

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
SIM cards may be updated, but probably won't go away as they're used on GSM networks. I think you can certainly justify $130 with the big bosses for the program.... OR, spend more cash, get some good training, and get the program "for free" from the class: mobileforensicsinc.com. This is taught by a current LEO and you'll get a great overview of how phones work and what tools to use.

eureka

May 5, 2007
great information.

<r>Thanks for the great information. I will use it to our advantage.<br/>
<br/>
aloha<br/>
<br/>
eureka <E>:D</E></r>

Aug 28, 2008
I agree. Sim cards hold only a small percentage of obtainable data of the phone. I bought a sim card reader for £99 ($170?). It's good, but found only a small amount of the data I wanted to find.

To buy a full blown mobile phone reader kit in the UK costs upwards of £15,000 with an annual registration fee for updates of £10,000. As a new mobile comes out, so you need to buy a new connecting data cable, another £10+.

I've seen one working and it's a great piece of kit but unless you really want to do mobile phone forensics in a big way its far too expensive a toy just to play with.

eureka

May 5, 2007
Any more sugesstions?

<r>I think to start off with I am looking for somthing that will show what numbers the person has called and who has called he or she. if SMS data can be found as well that is great to. Even somthing that can find earased data. That would be evan better!<br/>
<br/>
The inspection ( that I will conduct) will not last long and I would say that the search would be equal to what we call in the states "knock and talks". Simply put, I need somthing that reads number and I can print and save the data. <br/>
<br/>
60k for goodies is out of reach but some of your suggestions has been great. In reality I am not an investigator anyway when it comes to the chain of custody. Any more suggestions?<br/>
<br/>
You guys/gals are great. <E>:D</E> <br/>
<br/>
Aloha<br/>
<br/>
Eureka</r>

Complete

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006
IMHO, Cellebrite UFED is going to give you the quickest and easiest results without going to a lot of classes and investing in a bunch of other solutions. A complete toolkit would be nice, but if you can only afford one thing, Cellebrite might be it.

Should probably try checking out one of the dedicated mobile phone forensic sites for more informed opinions. Hit this site for links to others and some good articles.
http ://www.e-evidence.info/cellarticles.html

Sep 24, 2008
Dont get the one at radioshack

<r>Radio shack has one, but it is awful, <E>:evil:</E> it only reads the card sometimes and is not compatible with programs for recovering data. Which ever program you want to utilize for data recovery usually has a sim card reader for sale with the program. Get that one, in the long run you will save money. Shop around because different programs do different things. Paraben's stuff is always a good choice, and plus you can usually use it first on a trial basis to determine it's functionality.</r>

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu