Transitioning from LE into Forensics (closed)

• Be a Contributor Contest – starting January 25th, 2019! “Ask something. Share something. Like something.” Get rewarded by our great sponsors!

[More info here]
Status
Not open for further replies.

herodog

Dec 17, 2007
Good morning everyone-

Here's my situation; I'm hoping that you might be able to offer me some guidance.

I am currently a police officer, and have been for 5 years. Prior to that I completed a 1.5 yr investigative internship with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

In terms of education, I have a BA in Criminal Justice/Emergency Management, and have several graduate classes under my belt in the area of Litigation Support, Rules of Procedure and Evidence, etc.

What I've been looking for is a way to transition from my current career into some aspect of computer forensic or info security. I've been looking into several programs, one of which is through a local community college, that is an authorized CCE training program.

Considering my background and experience, would the CCE designation be enough to allow me to 'break into' the field and get going in the industry?

Any comments and guidance are welcome, and I look forward to conversing about this, as well as other topics, with you all!

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2006
Since you are already on the LE side I would recommend getting as much training as you can from NW3C, IACIS, et al and get the LE discount on some of the basic software and hardware before jumping into the private sector. DoDForensics has written numerous posts on this topic as well. A search by user name in this sub-forum should provide some good guidance.

Dec 27, 2006
You don't say where you are located. If you are near a Regional Computer Forensic Laboratory run by the FBI it might be as easy as working as LE for a participating agency.

Check out www .rcfl.gov/index.cfm?fuseAction=Public.top26 for locations. Go to the location near you, look at program information and then participating agencies.

I'm working at one and of 19 examiners who work here 11 are from local LE. Most are detectives, one is a patrol officer. One of the federal examiners started here as a local LE.

In January we will pick up two more local LE. Once at an RCFL you will get lots and lots of training! It usually takes 8-18 months to get certified. While in training you'll be using what you learn under a mentor system.

herodog

Dec 17, 2007
I'm in Marylancd. Our agency has their own Computer Crimes unit, however, getting the proper training does not ensure you a position in the unit.

Boston

Jan 15, 2007
herodog said:
I'm in Marylancd. Our agency has their own Computer Crimes unit, however, getting the proper training does not ensure you a position in the unit.
Herodog, I hear ya on that. I have been on the job in Massachusetts for 7 years. I have a computer background prior to coming to LE. I'm currently assigned to K-9 but going back to the computer sector. This coming February my department is sending me to CFCE certification from IACIS. As it’s only available to sworn LE personal.

Also, college bound this January to get my B.S. Computer & Digital Forensics.

Look into it cops.org

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu