Transitioning to Digital Forensics

Contribute to the community and build up your resume

Contribute to this forum by helping to moderate and answer questions.

If interested, please contact us at forum@ComputerForensicsWorld.com

ellie_

Jun 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

My name is Ellie and I currently work as an Information Security Analyst.
As you can assume by the subject line, I'd like to transition to Digital Forensics.
My background includes over a year of 1st line support and almost 2 years of Information Security Analyst.
I have a Level 4 Network Engineer of the Apprenticeship scheme, including CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+ and Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016 certificates.

I am also learning Python with the book "Learning Python for Forensics" and planning to sit the AccessData exam.
Do you have any other advice or suggestions for me based on my background/skills?

Thank you very much for your help and time.

Ellie

azuleonyx

Experienced Member
Oct 20, 2018
Ratings
Charlotte, North Carolina Area
cyberfenixtech.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/AzuleOnyx
Hello, Ellie!

I am working towards the same goal; however, I do directly have a IT security background. I would say informational wise, checking out the Reading List in my signature as well has Digital Forensics Incident Response Training. I find DFIR information is spread out compared to other IT related fields.

Generally, you would need a good base knowledge of the inter-workings of file systems, memory, computer hardware, and networking or wherever data might reside. Also, in my previous Master's class, I find that timeline analysis is a big part of DFIR and can be a taunting task.

SANS.org does offer courses (which are highly expensive) but suppose to be good. I have not had a chance to take one as of yet.

Others might have more direct experience but this will get you started.

Also: see this thread How to Become a Digital Forensics Professional in 2019 - Computer Forensics World

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu