Webmail Access

rolen2ws

Nov 8, 2006
I was wondeirng if there was a way to tell if an individual has been logging into my email via webmail. The reason i ask is I have an outlook account at work, and then we also have the webmail access. I didn't think of it till recently, but I believe a former employee may have had my password. Thanks.

ddow

Jul 18, 2006
That would depend on the logs maintained by the email server you're using. A nicely worded request to the administrator might help if you can nail down approximately when you thought it was accessed. All you'll get are IP addresses which may or may not help.

I'd change my password and move on.

Dennis

elakes

Nov 8, 2006
Have you ever seen the UID error when your Outlook was running at the office but you went in to the account some where else and deleted and email or made a change? This occurrs when the circumstances happen as described - keep your email up and running and do not run the web-based - or you can run it but do not make changes of any kind - then see if you get that error.

Good luck

Eric Lakes –
Certified Computer Examiner

ddow

Jul 18, 2006
That's going to depend in part on the email server software, how the administrator has configured it, and what logs are kept. If you really want it, I'd send an VERY NICE email to the ISP as soon as possible.

Precision

Sep 23, 2006
Do the smart thing. Cut your losses and change your password.

1.) Does catching the person allegedly logging in to look at your email really justify the time investigating it?

2.) If you do catch the person allegedly logging in, what do you plan to do? Is that worth the time it would take just to change the password and let it go?

Sometimes the easiest solution is just to change things and move on.

About us

• Our community began in 2004. Since this time, we have grown to have over 29,000+ members within the DFIR & Cyber Security community.

We are happy to announce that this forum is now under new ownership with the goal to once again become the main Digital Forensics Forum on the internet for DFIR, OSINT and Cyber Security.

If you can think of ways to help us improve, please let us know.

We pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds.

We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu